Vaikuntha Chaturdashi falls on the Chaturdashi Tithi of Shukla Paksha in the month of Kartik. It is also known as Kartik Shukla Chaturdashi. It is the day when Lord Vishnu, after waking up from sleep takes back the charge of the world from Lord Shiva.
Since Lord Vishnu sleeps for a period of four months, known as Chaturmasa, it is Lord Shiva who looks after the world until then. So on the day of Vaikuntha Chaturdashi, Lord Vishnu takes the charge again.
Vrat Katha - Devrishi Narad And Lord Vishnu
Once Devrishi Narad Muni asked Lord Vishnu an easy way of doing Bhakti and getting virtues. He wanted some simple ways of pleasing the Supreme one. To this Lord Vishnu mentioned the day of Vaikuntha Chaturdashi. He said that whoever observes the rituals associated with this day, surely achieves salvation and goes to Vaikuntha, the abode of Lord Vishnu after death.
Vaikuntha Chaturdashi Vrat Vidhi And Puja
As a part of the rituals, a fast is observed for the whole day. It is broken in the evening. At night a Puja before Lord Vishnu is performed using lotus flowers. This is followed by a Puja performed before Lord Shiva. Hence, the festival holds high importance for both the Vaishnavite and Shaivite tradition of Hinduism, besides the mainstream Hindus.
Parana Performed The Next Day
A whole night vigil should be kept and the next morning, Lord Shiva should be worshipped. Priests should be invited and offered a morning feast after this. This next day is called Kartika Shukla Purnima and has a huge religious significance, being associated with Lord Shiva.
Mantra For Puja
Given below is a mantra that you can chant while offering prayers to Lord Vishnu on Vaikuntha Chaturdashi.
Vina Yi Haripujam Tu Kuryad Rudrasya Charchnam
Vritha Tasya Bhavet Puja Satyametaddhacho Mam
TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Supreme Court Verdict On Rafale Deal Tomorrow
- Petrol Price Increased For The First Time In Nearly Two Months
- Hockey World Cup 2018 Quarter-Finals: India vs Netherlands — Updates
- Nissan Kicks Review — KICK-starting A New Statement Among Five-Seater SUVs
- Things To Know About The World's Quad Camera Smartphone
- Patiala — The Princely State Of Punjab
- Inside Pics From Isha's Wedding: Ash-Aaradhya Pose For A Pic
- She Sits In The Lake For The Entire Day — Here's Why!