- Technology Best Nokia Smartphones Under Rs. 10,000 That Support WhatsApp
- Movies Shabana Azmi’s Mother Shaukat Kaifi, Veteran Stage And Film Actress, Passes Away At 93
- News Naxal attack in Jharkhand's Latehar: 3 Jawans martyred, one injured
- Sports Indian National Rally Championship: Fabid, Dean-Gaurav showdown adds spice to Round 4 of INRC
- Finance Titan And Nestle India To Be Added To Sensex Next Month
- Travel Jagdalpur – A Paradise Full Of Natural Bounties
- Automobiles Royal Enfield Headed To Double Digit Growth Says New CEO Vinod Dasari
- Education Why World Children's Day Is Celebrated On November 20?
Kartik Purnima, the Purnima falling in the month of Kartik, is one of the significant days of this sacred month. While it is known as Ganga Purnima by the Hindus, for the Sikhs it is Guru Nanak Jayanthi. All the Sikhs celebrate it as the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev, the founder of Sikhism. They also call it Gurpurab.
Not just this, the day holds great sacred significance for the Jains who conduct a pilgrimage to the temple of Lord Adinath on this day. As far as the Hindu rituals are concerned, we have brought all the information you need on it such as Kartik Purnima 2018 Vrat Vidhi, Puja Vidhi And Vrat Katha. Take a look.
Kartik Purnima Vrat Vidhi
There is a tradition of observing a fast on this day. Here is the Puja Vidhi. Read on.
1. Get up early and take bath during the Brahma Muhurta in a holy river.
2. Taking bath in the Ganga river holds immense significance. If possible one should go and take a Ganga Snaan.
3. Thereafter, the devotee should perform Deepdaan by lighting the Diya in ghee.
4. Offer prayers to Lord Vishnu.
5. You can chant Vishnu Sahasranaam to please the deity.
6. You can perform a Hawan at your house.
7. Donate grains among the poor and needy ones.
What Is Deepdaan And How Is It Done?
Well, Deepdaan refers to the act of leaving a lighted diya afloat in running water. Placing a lighted diya in a temple, at the crossroads, under a Peepal tree are other forms of Deepdaan. It is said that Deepdaan helps get the blessings of Lord Vishnu, who then helps earn more wealth, prosperity and success. One should chant the names of Lord Vishnu while performing Deepdaan.
There was a demon named Tripurasur. He had three sons named Tarkaksh, Kamlaksh and Vidyunmali. The demon Tripurasur's power was gradually growing, for which Lord Shiva' son Kartikeya defeated and killed him one day. Enraged by this, the sons of the demon sought a remedy to avenge his death. They started a hard penance to please Lord Brahma. Pleased by their penance Lord Brama also agreed to give them a boon. When asked for their wish, the demons said that they wanted to become immortal. However, Lord Brahma denied to fulfil this wish of theirs and told them to ask for another wish.
Demons And The Three Territories
Now, the demons asked for three territories they could rule. The territories should be such that ruling them, the ruler should also be able to rule one of the three Lokas (the Earth, the Sky and the Netherworld). This way, they would be able to rule one Loka each, as per their plans, and hence conquer the universe. Lord Brahma gave them this boon, but since limiting their powers was necessary, they were told that one God who would be able to destroy all the three territories with one arrow, would also bring death to all three of them.
Lord Shiva Killed The Demons
Happy with their new possession, all the three demons set to rule the universe and soon became tyrannic rulers. Afraid of their growing powers, Lord Indra, the king of Gods, approached Lord Shiva, the protector and destroyer of the universe. Lord Shiva, with a decision to kill the tyrant demons, constructed a divine chariot with the help of all the Gods. The chariot possessed the powers of all these Gods and hence it was difficult to defeat the God sitting on it.
As the demons tried to approach Lord Shiva, trying to attack him, Lord Shiva fired an arrow targeting the three territories set up in alignment and thus defeated the demons. Thereafter, having killed the demons also, Lord Shiva brought peace and order once again.