Raksha Bandhan is amongst the most popular festivals of the Hindu religion and is distinct in many a way. A festival that celebrates and seeks to celebrate and strengthen the bond between brothers and sisters is commemorated with great pomp and show. In this article, we look at popular mythological tales pertaining to Raksha Bandhan. These tales have, in a way, made us understand the significance of Raksha Bandhan. Let us now look at a few popular Raksha Bandhan tales. Read on...
Krishna And Draupadi
This is perhaps the most famous Raksha Bandhan tale. Lord Krishna once injured his finger while cutting sugarcane. Draupadi was around at that time and when she witnessed Lord Krishna's finger profusely bleeding, she immediately tore a portion of her sari and bandaged Lord Krishna's little finger. At this point, Lord Krishna promised to protect Draupadi at all times. Lord Krishna used the word "Akshayam" which implies the protection extended to Draupadi is unending.
The Story Of Yama And Yamuna
The story goes that Lord Yama was tied a Rakhi by the river Yamun. He was so pleased by the gesture that he granted her immortality. He also went on to declare that anybody who ties a Rakhi and offered to protect his sister would become immortal.
Alexander The Great And Porus
When in 326 B.C Alexander the great invaded India, his wife sent Roxana sent Porus a thread and pleaded with Porus not to harm her husband. Porus agreed to this but however, the brave Indian king was defeated at the battle of Hydaspes river. He, however, was treated with great respect and honour.
These various tales from history and mythology epitomize the significance of celebrating and commemorating the festival of Raksha Bandhan.
TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- New CBI Chief: It Could Be Modi VS Jaiswal
- India Vs Australia, 3rd ODI — Live Updates
- Owning A Maruti Suzuki Is Now A Special Occasion — Here's How
- Xiaomi Mi 9 New Concept Render With Bezel-Less Display And More
- 7 Best SBI Mutual Fund Schemes To Invest Through SIP
- Why A Trip To Tabo Is The Best Himalayan Adventure You Will Ever Have
- Sidharth & Diana Penty's Grand Outfits
- Deepika Padukone Launches Children’s Book With Her Story; Sidharth Malhotra Takes Selfies With Fans