- 42 min ago How Zodiac Signs React Differently When They Hate Someone
- 3 hrs ago Kerala's Athirappilly Forest Region Reports Outbreak Of Anthrax
- 3 hrs ago Covid-19 Vaccine Protects People Of All Sizes: Lancet Study
- 3 hrs ago Doctors' Day 2022: Facts About Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy, On Whose Behalf India Celebrates National Doctors' Day
- Education CMI Result 2022 Declared for B.Sc Courses: Check Scorecard, Cut Off & Merit List at www.cmi.ac.in
- News Elgar Parishad: NIA gets time till July 8 to file reply to Hany Babu's bail plea
- Travel The Spanish Badlands: Baddest Of The Badlands
- Sports Qatar 2022 World Cup to implement semi-automated offside VAR
- Automobiles MG Motor June 2022 Sales - Y-o-Y Growth Of 26.56%
- Movies Gauahar Khan Reveals She Lost Danny Boyle’s Slumdog Millionaire Due To Her Good Looks; Read Statement
- Finance SBI's gold loan portfolio crosses, Rs 1 lakh crore-mark
- Technology Flipkart Big Bachat Dhamaal Sale: Discounts On Earbuds, Smartwatches, And Other Electronics Accessories
Raksha Bandhan is one of the most popular festivals for people belonging to Hindu community and is distinct in many ways. A festival that celebrates and seeks to celebrate and strengthen the bond between brothers and sisters is commemorated with great pomp and show. In this article, we look at popular mythological tales pertaining to Raksha Bandhan. These tales have, in a way, made us understand that the significance of this festival. This year the festival falls on 15th August.
Let's look at some of the popular legends and stories that are associated with Raksha Bandhan-
Krishna And Draupadi
This is perhaps the most famous Raksha Bandhan tale. Lord Krishna once injured his finger while cutting sugarcane. Draupadi was around at that time and when she witnessed Lord Krishna's finger profusely bleeding, she immediately tore a portion of her sari and bandaged Lord Krishna's little finger. At this point, Lord Krishna promised to protect Draupadi at all times. Lord Krishna used the word "Akshayam" which implies the protection extended to Draupadi is unending.
The Story Of Yama And Yamuna
The story goes that Lord Yama was tied a Rakhi by the river Yamun. He was so pleased by the gesture that he granted her immortality. He also went on to declare that anybody who ties a Rakhi and offered to protect his sister would become immortal.
Alexander The Great And Porus
When in 326 B.C Alexander the great invaded India, his wife sent Roxana sent Porus a thread and pleaded with Porus not to harm her husband. Porus agreed to this but however, the brave Indian king was defeated at the battle of Hydaspes river. He, however, was treated with great respect and honour.
These various tales from history and mythology magnifies the significance of celebrating the festival of Raksha Bandhan.
- festivalsAshadha Gupt Navratri 2022: Date, Time, Ghatasthapana Muhurat, Rituals, Vrat Rules And Significance
- festivalsAshadha Gupt Navratri 2022 Day 1: Date, Time, Rituals, Significance, And Puja Mantras
- festivalsAshadha Amavasya 2022: Date, Time, Vrat Vidhi, How To Eradicate Pitrudosh, And Remedies
- festivalsOnam 2022: Date, Time, Rituals, History, Significance, And Celebrations
- festivalsBakrid (Eid-al-Adha) 2022: Date, Time, Cuisine, History, Significance, And Celebrations
- festivalsAshada Masam 2022: Why This Month Is Considered Inauspicious
- festivalsAshada Masam 2022: Dates, Time, Beliefs, Rituals, Significance And Celebrations
- festivalsCan We Eat Non-vegetarian Food After Satyanarayan Puja?
- festivalsJagannath Rath Yatra 2022: Interesting Facts About The Famous Chariot Festival
- festivalsHappy Onam 2022: Wishes, Greetings, SMS, Quotes, And Images To Share With Your Loved Ones
- festivalsSnana Yatra Of Lord Jagannath 2022: Date, Time, Puja Rituals, And Celebrations
- festivalsKanya Sankranti 2022: Date, Time, Puja Rituals, Food Items, History, And Significance