- 1 min ago Lingashtakam: Know About Importance, Benefits, And Restrictions
- 3 hrs ago Is There A Substitute For Baby Diapers? Safe And Eco-friendly Alternatives To Diapers
- 5 hrs ago Makeup Tips: How To Get The Perfect Makeup Base?
- 6 hrs ago Sensory Play For Kids: What Is It? Why Is It Necessary? And How To Implement It
- Sports LaLiga: Nacho's bizarre own goal costs dearly as Real Madrid lose 0-1 to Mallorca
- Movies Sidharth-Kiara Wedding: Courtyard Sangeet, Lunch, Reception Venue & A Late Honeymoon In The Cards
- News Cong to step up attack on govt over Adani issue, to hold nationwide protest on Monday
- Education CUET UG 2023 Registration Soon; Check Details Here
- Travel Top 5 Must visit places in Ottawa, Canada
- Automobiles Kia India Sells 6.50 Lakh Units Under 4 Years – Automaker Currently Retails 5 Models In The Country
- Finance 3 Stocks With Low P/E, Solid Fundamentals & Robust Dividend Yields
- Technology OnePlus Nord 2T vs Oppo Reno 8: Design, Display, Battery Compared
After the sparkling celebration of Diwali, brothers and sisters all over India get ready for the festival of Bhai Dooj. On this day, sisters apply 'tilak' on their brothers' forehead and pray for their well being. The brothers are supposed to shower their sisters with lavish gifts on this occasion. This year, the festival will be celebrated on 16 November 2020.
It is believed that on this auspicious day, the God of death, Yamaraja visits his sister, Yamuna and she welcomes her brother by applying a tilak on his forehead and so the ritual of tilak and the tilak festival are so popular. Lord Krishna had also defeated the demon Narakasura on the same day.
Bhai Dooj Aparahna Time - 01:10 PM to 03:18 PM (Duration - 02 Hours 08 Mins). Dwitiya Tithi Begins at 07:06 AM on Nov 16, 2020, and ends at 03:56 AM on Nov 17, 2020.
Bhai Dooj This Year: Dates And Muhurtam
This year Bhai Dooj will be celebrated on November 16, 2020. Let us now understand the Vidhi and the rituals associated with Bhai Dooj.Bhai Dooj Aparahna Time - 01:10 PM to 03:18 PM (Duration - 02 Hours 08 Mins). Dwitiya Tithi Begins at 07:06 AM on Nov 16, 2020, and ends at 03:56 AM on Nov 17, 2020.
Significance And The Different Names Of Bhai Dooj
Like most of our Indian festivals, Bhai Dooj is also about family bonding and sibling love. It is a chance for the brother and sister to renew their attachments. In our busy lives, we often forget to nurture our relationships. These festivals bring us closer to our near and dear ones.
In Bengal, this event is known as 'Bhai Phota' where 'Phota' means tilak. This tilak or the protective spot on the forehead is applied in order to guard the brother against any danger and negative energies. Bhai Dooj is also known as the 'Yama Dwitiya'. It is believed that anyone who receives a tilak from his sister on this day would never be put through hell.
Significant Rituals Of Bhai Dooj
There are some important rituals associated with Bhai Dooj which need to be followed. Let us take a look.
1. Brothers and sisters have to take an early bath on the day of Bhai Dooj. After which the brother must visit his sister.
2. The sister applies a tilak or tika with kumkum on the forehead of her brother reciting a mantra.
3. Then the sister has to give a coconut to the brother.
4. After that the sister has to do the aarti for her brother and pray for his long life.
5. If her brother is married, then the sister has to apply tilak on her sister-in-law's forehead as well and give her a dry coconut.
6. If her brother happens to have kids then the tilak has to be applied to their foreheads as well.
7. If someone does not have a brother then she can do a puja for the moon and follow the rituals.
Mantra To Be Chanted While Applying The Tilak
Bhratus tabaa grajaataaham, Bhunksa bhaktamidam shuvam
Preetaye yama raajasya Yamunaah Visheshatah
After chanting the mantra, pray for the long life of your brother. Another important ritual of Bhai Dooj is 'Bhagini Hastha Bhojanam' which means that the brother has to partake the meal which is prepared by the sister for him.
Thereafter, the brother gives valuable gifts to his sister as a mark of love. Taking a dip in the Yamuna river is also considered to be highly pious.
- bollywood wardrobeRakul Preet Singh’s Printed Lehenga Look Is Ideal Inspiration For Boho Chic Fashion
- bollywood wardrobeKriti Sanon, Ananya Panday, And More Impress With Their Ethnic Fashion At Sonam Kapoor’s Diwali Party
- bollywood wardrobeEkta Kapoor’s Diwali Bash: Ananya Panday, Kangana Ranaut, And Others Attend The Party In Traditional Style
- bollywood wardrobeRashmika Mandanna’s Striped Saree Get-Up Is Perfect For Diwali Party, Pics!
- bollywood wardrobeKriti Sanon’s Enchanting Look In Lehenga Gives Diwali Dress-Up Vibes, See Pics!
- bollywood wardrobeSara Ali Khan, Ananya Panday, Kartik Aaryan, and Others Flaunt Ethnic Look At T-Series Diwali Bash
- festivalsBandi Chhor Diwas 2022: Know About How Sikhs Celebrate Diwali Every Year
- recipesDiwali 2022: Easy And Delicious Kesari Jalebi Recipe
- bollywood wardrobeRajkummar Rao, Rakul Preet Singh, Suhana Khan, And Others Raise Glam Quotient At Bhumi Pednekar’s Diwali Bash
- bollywood wardrobeKriti Sanon’s 6 contemporary sarees that are perfect for Diwali Party
- horoscopeDiwali 2022 To Diwali 2023 Yearly Horoscope For Finances - Numerological Predictions By Expert
- menVarun Dhawan To Anil Kapoor, 8 Ethnic Outfits Guide From B-Town Men To Look Dapper This Diwali