- 1 hr ago Dangers Of Indoor Tanning: Know Why Is It So Addictive?
- 2 hrs ago Yashoda Jayanti 2023:Know About Date, Time, History, Worship Method, Significance, And Benefits
- 2 hrs ago What Are The Three Stages Of Labour? Is There A Difference Between A Caesarean & Normal Delivery?
- 3 hrs ago How To Get Vitamin D Without Risking Excessive Sun Exposure
- Sports Novak Djokovic equals Rafael Nadal for Grand Slam titles with 10th Australian Open triumph
- Education TANCET, CEETA 2023 registration will start from Feburary 1; Know How to Apply
- News Indian diaspora rejects "BBC's sinister and biased documentary" in US
- Movies Farah Khan Consoles A Sobbing Rakhi Sawant With A Hug During Her Mother's Funeral. WATCH
- Finance Union Budget 2023: Delicate Act Of Maximizing Fiscal Impulse Amid Consolidation
- Automobiles Bid For Mahindra XUV400 One Special Edition Crosses 1 Crore Mark – Checkout All Details
- Technology Jio True 5G Reaches Northeast India; Now Live In 191 Cities In India
- Travel What Is Sun Tourism And Why Its Trend Worries Himachal Pradesh
In Hindu mythology, Sawan month is considered to be quite auspicious. It is also considered to be the favourite month of Lord Shiva. Devotees of Lord Shiva, therefore, spend this month in worshipping the deity. This year the Sawan month started on 6 July 2020 and will end on 3 August 2020. During this entire month, devotees try their best to please Lord Shiva and seek his blessings.
People usually wake up early this month and observe a fast after they have taken a bath. They then worship Lord Shiva and visit his temples well. Today we are going to tell you more about this month and in what ways you can please Lord Shiva.
Why Is Lord Shiva Worshipped In Sawan Month
Many people wonder why Lord Shiva is worshipped during this month and why He is fond of Sawan month. There are many mythological stories associated with it. One such story is of Samundra Manthan (the churning of the ocean). When Gods and demons were churning the ocean to gain the divine Amrit (nectar), the first thing that came out was Halahal, a deadly poison. Somebody had to drink it but none of the Gods or the demons had the strength to withstand the effects of Halahal. Moreover, if this Halahal wasn't consumed then it could destroy the whole universe. So everyone pleaded Lord Shiva to suggest something.
Lord Shiva knew that someone had to consume the poison and therefore, he went on to do the same. As the poison was deadly and strong enough to destroy the universe, Lord Shiva kept that poison in his throat only. He didn't let it reach his stomach as his stomach represents the Universe. This turned his neck blue and since then Lord Shiva is known as 'Neelkanth'.
Now, the Gods and other divine people wanted to ensure that Lord Shiva doesn't face the heat of the poison so they offered him some cool materials such as Chandan (sandalwood paste), Bhang, Gangajal.
Moreover, after this, the next month that came was Sawan and during this month, Earth receives plenty of rainfall which ensures that the temperature is cool and pleasant. Thus people started worshipping Lord Shiva during this month for not only saving the universe from Halahal but also to offer Him things that would provide Him the necessary cold and comfort.
How To Please Lord Shiva During Sawan
- Wake up early, freshen up, clean your house and take a bath. After this wear clean clothes and worship the Shivlinga.
- Offer Gangajal and raw milk to Lord Shiva. Make sure while you are offering milk to Him, you must not use any plastic container. One should offer milk only through a copper container.
- One should recite Maha Mritunjay Mantra along with Om Namah Shivaye throughout the day.
- You can also offer Panchamrit to Lord Shiva. Those who don't know, a Panchamrit is prepared by mixing milk, curd, honey, jaggery and ghee.
- Read or listen to Sawan Somwar Vrat Katha with dedication and devotion. This will help you in offering prayers without any distractions.
- You can also wear a Rudraksha Mala during this month. Rudraksha is quite dear to Lord Shiva.
- Avoid consuming alcohol or non-vegetables food during this month. This is because Lord Shiva is believed to be beyond all materialistic and worldly desires. Therefore, if you want to worship Him with full devotion, then it is better that you follow austerity.
- Avoid consuming garlic and onions as well during this month.
- Do not take advantage of any person just for the sake of fun.
- If you have observed the fast, then avoid breaking it before the Parana.
- festivalsSawan Somwar 2020: Here’s The Date, Muhurta, Puja Vidhi And Katha Of This Vrat
- festivalsSawan Maas 2022: Festivals And Vrats In The Month Of Shravan
- festivalsSawan Month 2022 Upay: Do These Remedies To Bring Happiness And Prosperity In Life
- festivalsSawan (Shravan) Month 2022: Dos and Don'ts
- festivalsMangala Gauri Vrat 2021: Date, Muhurat, Rituals And Significance Of This Festival
- faith mysticismSawan Month 2021: Foods To Avoid During This Season
- faith mysticismSawan Maas 2021: Significance Of This Month Among The Hindus
- festivalsSawan Shivratri 2022: With These Rituals, You Can Please Lord Shiva On This Day
- astrologyA List Of Common Nightmares Which Indicate Highly Auspicious Results
- faith mysticismA Handy List Of Auspicious And Inauspicious Dreams: What Do They Suggest?
- festivalsGuru Pushya Yoga 2021: Date, Muhurta And Significance Of This Day
- festivalsDiwali 2020: Muhurat, Puja Vidhi And Significance Of This Festival