- 6 min ago Travel Horoscope 2023: Fulfil Your Long-Standing Travel Dreams This Year To Exotic Destinations
- 30 min ago Compassion Meditation: How To Show True Compassion Towards Yourself And Your Loved Ones
- 37 min ago Skincare Tips: Keeping Your Skin Healthy Between Seasons
- 52 min ago Signs Of A Toxic Work Environment; How To Deal With It?
- Sports India vs New Zealand 1st T20I: Full List Of Award Winners, Player Of The Match, Stats, Post-Match Presentation
- News Despite 'power cut', BBC's controversial series screened at Presidency University, claims SFI
- Finance Aadhaar Card For NRI - Step-by-Step Guide On How to Apply For It?
- Movies Bigg Boss 16: Netizens Unhappy With Nimrit Kaur Ahluwalia's 'Dhoyegi Sare Bartan' Remark For Priyanka
- Technology Poco X5 Pro 5G Global Variant Listing Indicates A Rebranded Redmi Note 12 Series Smartphone
- Travel Tata, Infosys Showing Interest In Monument Mitra Scheme, Know What It Is
- Automobiles 2023 BMW X1 & iX1 India Launch Tomorrow – Here’s Everything You Should Know
- Education Professional Students' Summit-2023 to be held in Kerala
Raksha Bandhan is a festival that is meant to celebrate the powerful bond between a brother and a sister. The sister ties a sacred thread, known as rakhi, around the wrist of her brother. While tying the rakhi, she prays for a long and healthy life for her brother; it is a ritualistic way of ensuring a safe and happy life for her brother. It is believed that the rakhi works as a kavach (armour), which means that it offers a defensive mechanism powered by the blessings of a sister to protect her brother. This year, in 2019, raksha bandhan is on 15th August.
Rakha Bandhan 2019
Raksha Bandhan falls on the Purnima of the Shravana month as per the Hindu calendar. According to Hindu scriptures and texts, is believed that there is a muhurta (auspicious time) to tie a rakhi. There are rules regarding on which hand the rakhi should be tied.
On Which Hand Should We Tie The Rakhi?
According to some ancient religious texts, there is a correct way of performing every ritual. These rules say that the rakhi should be tied on the right wrist only.
The right part of the body is believed to show us the right path. It has more ability to control the body and the mind; whereas, using the left hand is considered inauspicious for every ritual. That's why the rakhi should actually be tied by the sister with her right hand and on the right hand of her brother.
Why Do We Tie A Rakhi On The Wrist?
On the day of raksha bandhan, the sisters decorate the rakhi trays and include various sacred items on it. She first puts a tilak on his forehead, then performs the aarti before him. After the tying of the rakhi, the sister hands a coconut to he brother. The brother then blesses the sister and also give her money so that she can get a gift of her choice.
But, have you ever wondered why the rakhi is actually tied? Besides, the ancient religious texts and scriptures that tells us the significance behind the celebration of this day, there are spiritual, Ayurvedic as well as psychological reasons for this ritual too.
Some believed that the festival of Rakhi was actually started when the king Mahabali had made Lord Vishnu promise that he would stay with him in the Patal Loka (Netherworld). Goddess Lakshmi was worried as to who would look after the Prithvi Loka (the Earth) and when Lord Vishnu would be there.
So Goddess Lakshmi went to Maabali's Palace in the Patal Loka, convinced him to become her brother and tied a rakhi around his wrist. In return for this, the goddess asked for Lord Vishnu to be relieved of his promise and sent back to his abode in Vaikuntha.
Spirituality says tying the rakhi on this wrist brings the blessings of Lord Vishnu, Lord Shiva and Lord Brahma. Besides this, Goddess Durga also gives emotional and material strength along with knowledge to her brother.
Ayurveda says that the thread tied on the wrist regulates the Pitta and Kafffa. Pitta and Kaffa are two of the three elements of the body as per Ayurveda. Pitta and Kaffa constitute the fire, water and earth elements of the body. When these get regulated, the overall health remains good.
Similarly, the person feels more confident and secure, knowing that a thread of protection and love is tied around the wrist.
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 27 January 2023: Check Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 26 January 2023: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 25 January 2023: Check Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 24 January 2023: Check Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 23 January 2023: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeWeekly Horoscope, 22 January To 28 January 2023, Check This Week Horoscope Prediction For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 22 January 2023: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 21 January 2023: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 20 January 2023: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 19 January 2023: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 18 January 2023: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- horoscopeDaily Horoscope, 17 January 2023: Check Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs