- 1 hr ago Daily Horoscope, 14 August 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 13 hrs ago Anne Heche - Decoding The Late Actress' ‘Effortless’ Style
- 13 hrs ago Qualities In Men Who Know How To Handle Relationships Well
- 14 hrs ago Salman Rushdie Hospitalised: 15 Facts About The Author Of 'The Satanic Verses'
- Movies Laal Singh Chaddha Day 3 Box Office Collection: Aamir Khan's Film Shows Slight Growth
- Finance 12 Stocks To Buy Next Week As Recommended By Top Brokerage Houses
- Sports Premier League: Brentford humiliate Manchester United with 4-0 thrashing
- News Karnataka's Vidhana Soudha illuminated in Tricolour
- Technology Amazon Smartphone Upgrade Sale: Best Deals On iQOO, OnePlus, Samsung & Xiaomi Phones
- Travel Benbulbin: Ireland's Prime Attraction
- Education TS EAMCET Result 2022 Declared @eamcet.tsche.ac.in; Check Scorecard Here
- Automobiles Ola Electric Car Teaser Video Out
Payal Kapadia, a Mumbai-based filmmaker has made India proud by winning the prestigious Oeil d'Or (Golden Eye) award for the Best-Documentary at the Cannes Film Festival. She won the award for her film A Night of Knowing Nothing.
Her film was one of the 28 documentaries exhibited during the festival in several divisions. It was her first feature film and it made an entry at the festival's Director's Fortnight, running parallel to the festival.
Kapadia's film competed against Todd Haynes' The Velvet Underground, Oliver Stone's JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass, Sergei Loznitsa's Babi Yar. Context, Andrea Arnold's Cow, Marco Bellocchio's Marx Can Wait, Mark Cousins' The Story of Film: A New Generation and Rahul Jain's Invisible Demons, and many others.
Here are a few interesting things about the documentary filmmaker Payal Kapadia:
1. Payal Kapadia is a Mumbai-based filmmaker who went to the Film & Television Institute of India in Pune to study film direction.
2. According to Kapadia, her work focusses on the "folds of memories and dreams" and something which may not be clearly evident. She tries to make films with "small, fleeting feminine gestures where she seeks to reach the truth".
3. At Cinefondation - Cannes Film Festival 2017, Paya Kapadia's first film, Afternoon Cloud, made an entry, making her the only Indian to compete in the festival.
4. Her experimental documentary, And What is the Summer Saying, made its golden premiere at the Berlin International Film Festival 2018.
- art-culture71st Berlin International Film Festival: 7 Things To Know About The Berlinale 2021 'Summer Special'
5. The film later on went on to win the Special Jury Prize at the Amsterdam International Documentary Film Festival in 2018.
6. In 2019, the talented filmmaker was chosen for the Cinefondation Cannes Residency as well as Berlinale Talents Program.
7. At present, Kapadia is working on All We Imagine as Light. She has shot the film at the PJLF Three Rivers Residency in Rome.
This proud achievement of Payal Kapadia was announced through Quinzaine des Real, the Twitter account of Cannes Independent movie selection.
The tweet read, "The Oeil d'Or, the award for best documentary presented at the Cannes Film Festival all sections combined, goes to A NIGHT OF KNOWING NOTHING by Payal Kapadia, a film selected at the Directors' Fortnight. Our warmest congratulations to Payal Kapadia and the entire film crew!"
The judgement was made by the five-member jury. The jury included French filmmaker Julie Bertuccelli, French actor Deborah Francois, Franco-American film critic Iris Brey and Orwa Nyrabia, artistic director of the International Documentary Film Festival (IDFA) Amsterdam. The jury was headed by Ezra Edelman, the American documentary producer.
- fashion trendsUrvashi Rautela Makes Cannes Red Carpet Debut In All-White Gown; PICS And All About Her Look
- bollywood wardrobeFashion Goddesses Deepika Padukone And Tamannaah Bhatia Stun At Cannes 2022 With Their Look
- womenCannes Film Festival's First Female President: Iris Knobloch
- art cultureOmicron: Have The 2022 Golden Globes, Grammy Awards, Oscars, Berlinale, Cannes Been Postponed?
- art cultureCannes Film Festival 2021 Winners List: Julia Ducournau's Film Titane Wins Palme D'Or
- bollywood wardrobePriyanka Chopra Jonas Birthday: Fashionable Gowns Of The Actress That Will Make You Say 'Awesome'
- hair careCannes 2021: Hofit Golan, Leonie Hanne, And Farhana Bodi’s Romantic Bun Hairstyles Are Noteworthy
- fashion trendsCannes 2021: Bangladeshi Actress Azmeri Haque Badhon Makes A Strong Case For Traditional Jamdani Saree
- fashion trendsCannes 2021: The 4 Unusual But Absolutely Slay-Worthy Fashion Lessons From The Divas
- fashion trendsCannes 2021: The Impressive And Not-So-Impressive White Outfits; Find Out The Attire We Liked The Most
- hair careCannes Film Festival 2021: Bella Hadid Gives Her Hair Bun A Stylish Modern Twist And Steals The Show
- fashion trendsCannes 2021: Bella Hadid And Other Divas Flaunted Their Fashionable Best; Find Out Who Looked The Best