- 11 min ago Dating An Aquarian? 8 Things That You Can Expect In Your Relationship
- 1 hr ago Studies Show Cabbage Can Reduce The Risk Of Certain Cancers
- 1 hr ago Pongal 2020: Kajol And Other Divas Have Pongal-Perfect Outfit Suggestions For You
- 2 hrs ago Are You Cleaning Your Jade Roller? Here’s How To Clean Your Jade Roller And Why Should You Do It
- Technology Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, Galaxy S20 Plus 5G Full Specification Tipped Online
- Movies '83 New Poster: Ranveer Singh Introduces Harrdy Sandhu As 'Punjab Da Gabru Veer' Madan Lal
- News Sonia Gandhi condoles demise of Punjab Kesari Editor Ashwini Chopra
- Finance India's Forex Reserve Rises To A Record High Of $461.2 Billion
- Sports Rumour Has It: Barca, Juve in Rakitic-Bernardeschi swap talks
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Eeco BS-VI Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 3.81 Lakh
- Education Tanmatra: A Women Leadership Programme From IIM Bangalore
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Delhi In 2020
Arranged marriages have a good reputation and success rate too. But unfortunately, arranged marriages also carry a negative reputation especially in places where the custom of dowry prevails.
Dowry is nothing but a heavy sum of money paid by the woman's family to the man's family just for accepting the marriage proposal!
Though it might sound funny to many, such customs still exist secretly even after the government abolished such social evils.
Now, will the demonetization, affect such a custom? Yes, it could surely affect such transactions for many reasons.
Firstly, giving or taking large sums of money isn't possible in the current situation. Old notes are banned and new notes are scarce. On-line transactions come under scanner if large sums of money changes hands.
As there are withdrawal limits, it isn't easy to spend large sums of money for the arrangements. So, there is no other option except to control the marriage expenses.
As gold purchases are also monitored, there is no way of buying gold without submitting proof of identity.
Lavish weddings need lots of money. When so much of money is spent, Income tax officials may even ask for the origins of the money.
This way, in the current scenario, it just got difficult for giving or taking dowry. But of course, social evils like dowry may not die such an easy death unless and until a majority of the society turns against them.
Educated youth are already changing the situation in urban areas by openly rejecting the idea of dowry. A day might come when arranged marriages cease to be financial transactions.