Idli is a versatile dish that can be made and served in different varieties. You can even add variety of things in the idli batter to make it more healthy and interesting. Chef Abhishek Basu has experimented a little and have added a very unique veggie in the idli batter i.e, Yellow bell peppers. The bell peppers are not added in theraw form. They are roasted and then a sauce is made out of it to enhance the flavour of the idli. I am sure this will turn out to be a delicious treat for the taste buds. Do try.
Recipe By: Chef Abhishek Basu
Recipe Type: Snack
Urad dal (split black lentils) - 1/2 cup
Fenugreek (methi) seeds- 1 tbsp
Big yellow bell pepper- 3
Red chillies fresh -4
Parboiled rice- 2 cups
Thickrice flakes (jadapoha) - 3 tbsp
Take a deep bowl first for preparation.
Fill the bowl with enough water in a deep bowl.
Combine the urad dal and fenugreek seed in that deep bowl and mix well.
Cover the bowl with a lid and keep aside to soak for 4 hours.
Take another deep bowl to make another mixture of rice flakes and rice.
Combine the rice and thick rice flakes in that bowl
Fill the another deep bowl with enough water.
Put the rice flakes and rice mixture in the bowl and mix well.
Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for 4 hours.
Take yellow bell pepper and roast the yellow bell pepper and make the coulis (a thin vegetable or fruit puree used as a sauce) out of it.
Wash and drain the urad dal and fenugreek seeds.
Blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
For blending, use approx. 1 cup of water.
Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and keep aside.
Wash and drain the rice and thick rice flakes.
Blend in a mixer to a slightly coarse paste.
For blending, use approx. 1½ cups of water.
Add this mixture to the urad dal, yellow bell pepper coulis ,fenugreek seeds mixture.
Add the salt and mix very well.
Cover it with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 12 hours.
After fermentation, mix the batter well once again and pour spoon full of the batter into greased idli cups.
Steam in an idli steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till they are cooked.
Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis.
Serve hot with sambhar, coconut chutney.
- 1. Fenugreek seeds is an optional ingredient and is used to make the batter fluffy.
- Serving Size - 1 idli
- Calories - 39 cal
- Protein - 2 g
- Carbohydrates - 8 g
- Dietary Fibre - 2 g
- Chana Dal Chutney Recipe: How To Make Kadalebele Chutney
- Beetroot And Manipuri Black Rice Idli Cupcake Recipe | Idli Cupcake Recipe
- How To Make Quick Rava Idli At Home
- Indian Breakfast Items That Provides Wholesome Diet
- Healthy Corn Idli Recipe For Toddlers
- Kanchipuram Idli Recipe For Breakfast
- Paddu: Mini Idli Recipe
- Ragi Rotti Recipe
- Vegetable Upma Recipe: How To Prepare Rava Uppittu At Home
- South Indian Style Macaroni Recipe
- Tomato Rice Recipe: How To Make South Indian Tomato Bhath
- Badusha Recipe: How To Make Balushahi At Home