You may have doubts about whether the flavours of cranberries and ginger would go together or not. But this fresh-tasting shortcake will make all those reservations melt in a cloud of zesty cranberry and warm ginger.
Chef Neha Lakhani shares an exotic recipe of the unusual but scrumptious lip-smacking cranberry shortcake with ginger crème. Take a look at this recipe and do try it out!
Recipe By: Chef Neha Lakhani
Recipe Type: Dessert
Ingredients For The Cake:
All-purpose flour - 2 cups
Baking powder - 2 tsp
Cinnamon powder - 2 tsp
Salt - ½ tsp
Butter - 8 tbsp
Sugar - 6 tbsp
Cranberries, fresh or preserved - 2 cups
Chopped hazelnuts (optional) - ¼th cup
Candied ginger, chopped - 2-3 tbsp
Light brown sugar - ¾th cup
Large eggs - 4
Pure vanilla extract - 2 tsp
Whole milk - 2/3rd cup
For The Filling:
Cranberries (fresh, or preserved, or candied) - 1 cup
Finely diced fresh ginger - 1 tbsp
Sugar - ¾th cup
Raspberry jam - ½ cup
For The Ginger Whipped Cream:
Chilled heavy whipping cream - ½ cup
Castor sugar - 2 tsp
Ginger powder - ½ tsp
- Make the filling first. Add the cranberries, ginger, sugar, and 1/2 cup of water to a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring and mashing a little, until the cranberries begin to pop and the mixture becomes gooey.
- Then, add in the raspberry jam and mix it into the cranberry sauce until everything is smooth and incorporated well. Taste for sugar, adding more as required.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Get out two 9 x 2 inch cake pans and two baking sheets.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Add butter and flour to the sides of one of the cake pans (not the bottom).
- In a small saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons of butter.
- Sprinkle in 6 tablespoons of sugar and cook, stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Pour this evenly over the bottom of the cake pan, then scatter it over the cranberries, chopped nuts, and add the chopped candied ginger pieces.
- Smoothen out this layer evenly with a spatula, pressing it down gently. Set aside.
- Use a stand mixer or a hand beater to beat the remaining 2 sticks of butter on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the brown sugar and continue to beat until it is creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating it for 1 minute, after each addition and scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Reduce the mixer to a low speed and add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until they've only just disappeared into the batter.
- Mix in the milk, and then add the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Divide the batter in half. Spread out half of the batter over the cake pan with the cranberry layer and smoothen the top with a rubber spatula.
- Set the pan on a baking sheet, and then add butter and flour the other cake pan.
- Spread out the remaining batter into this cake pan, and again, smoothen out the top. Then, set the pan on a baking sheet.
- Put both the cake pans in the oven for 40 minutes, rotating them at 20 minutes each. When the cakes are golden brown in colour and a knife is inserted into the centre of it, it should come out clean, which means it is ready to be removed from the oven.
- When the cakes are taken out of the oven, use a blunt knife to loosen the sides.
- Cool the upside down of the cake in the pan for 10 minutes on the rack.
- Run your knife around it again.
- Invert the cake onto a flat platter or cutting board and then let it sit with the pan holding it in place for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, invert the plain cake onto a wire rack and let it cool.
- Remove the hot pan from the inverted cake and allow it to come to room temperature. Before assembling the cake, put the upside down layer in the refrigerator, until it's thoroughly chilled.
- Spread the cran-raspberry jam on the plain layer, then carefully lift the cranberry cake (it works well to use two big spatulas) and place it on top, cranberry side up.
- To make the ginger whipped cream, whip the chilled cream, the confectioners' sugar, and the ground ginger until you get soft peaks. You could add more ginger as per your preference.
- The baking of the cake could take up to 45 minutes, or may be more.
- Serving size - 1 small loaf
- Calories - 90 cal
- Fat - 3 g
- Protein - 1 g
- Carbohydrates - 14 g