The growing bump of a pregnant woman is a wonderful sight to see. With all the nutrient intake, her face glows like no other time of her life. She takes care of her little darling even before she meets him/her. And for that care which she gives, the mother goes through thick and thin throughout the carrying period.
The health of the mom-to-be is very important and it is good to be active during this phase if possible. Household work is one way to do it. For working women, there is nothing else that they need to do. A very simple and easy exercise is to breathe deeply. This can be done on the go too with a little concentration and it works for both working women and housewives. Check out the details
Why Should Deep Breathing Be Given Importance To When Pregnant?
Deep breathing exercise is generally good for everyone at all stages of life. In women, it is vital during pregnancy due to two main reasons.
Shortness Of Breath
The uterus keeps expanding as the months pass by and as a result, the belly gets bigger than ever, especially during the third trimester. This growth puts great pressure on the diaphragm and the lungs get cramped due to it. Women might find it difficult to breathe in a normal manner. At times, it takes a toll on the health in worst cases. This is because of the low lung capacity or space for the expansion and contraction. Practicing deep breathing exercise from earlier on during pregnancy will help to tackle this problem quite easily and effectively.
Helps In Easy Labour
Happiness, eagerness, tension, anxiety, fear - It is a mix of emotions that a woman has to go through when in labour. The fact is that one has to be relaxed to enjoy the process and finish it off without much complication. Deep breathing helps in being composed. Moreover, in order to push the baby out, one has to hold the breath for a couple of seconds and with weak lungs, this might prove to be pretty tough. Again, deep breathing comes to the rescue here.
Other Benefits Of Deep Breathing In Pregnancy
Better Oxygen Supply
Good amount of oxygen in the bloodstream is needed for the well-being of both the mom and baby. Deep breathing removes all the carbon dioxide from the body and replaces it with the oxygen.
Detoxifies The Body
70% of the toxins in the body can be released by breathing properly. Deep breathing helps a person to do the natural breathing in a correct way all the time, thereby aiding in detoxifying the body.
Immune power is essential during pregnancy so as to not fall sick quite often. A better metabolism is got as a result of preventing the presence of any bacteria in the body, and thus having an improved immunity.
Helps In Weight Control
Weight must be in control during pregnancy too. Gaining too much of it is definitely not good and it might cause trouble during delivery. Good amount of oxygen through deep breathing in the body helps in maintaining a healthy weight.
Of course, a lot of stamina is essential for a mom-to-be. By including deep breathing exercises in the daily routine, the strength of the body improves dramatically, which is needed to sail through pregnancy with ease.
How Deep Breathing Exercise Must Be Done
- Choose a place with good ventilation. Outdoors is the best option.
- Sit down on the floor cross-legged and with a straight spine if possible. Otherwise, sit down comfortably with a back support.
- Close your eyes and relax your whole body, right from the forehead, jaws, and shoulders to the chest, abdomen, and legs.
- Place one hand on your chest and the other on your belly.
- Inhale slowly through your nose. Feel the air pass through your chest up to your abdomen.
- Your belly will bulge out when it is filled with air. The air must go up to the abdomen and not just the chest, which is the purpose of deep breathing.
- Hold your breath for two seconds and exhale through the pursed lips. One thing to keep in mind is that the exhalation should be double the time taken to inhale. For example, if it takes 3 seconds for you to inhale, the exhalation must be extended to 6 seconds.
- Your belly will get back to the normal position when exhaling.
- Repeat the same for around 5 to 10 minutes. This exercise can be done even 5 times a day, but it works best when done in the morning.
Things To Consider When Doing Deep Breathing Exercise
- Do not exercise when the stomach is full. It must be half empty.
- Do not exercise in case of any illness or discomfort.
- In the course of the exercise, if you feel something fishy with your body, stop it immediately.
- It is best to exercise when someone is around, in case you need any help.
TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- 2019 Lok Sabha — All You Need To Know
- Hero ISL To Resume From Jan 25th; Kerala Blasters To Face ATK
- Owning A Maruti Suzuki Is Now A Special Occasion — Here's How
- Asus ZenFone Max M2 — Detailed Review
- Why Cheat India — Movie Review
- 7 Best SBI Mutual Fund Schemes To Invest Through SIP
- Benefits Of Drinking Black Coffee
- Vikramshila — The Forgotten University In Bhagalpur, Bihar