- Finance IPO-Bound OYO Reports EBITDA, Of Rs 63 Crore In April-September
- Sports Superbon vs. Allazov moves to ONE Fight Night 6, Rodtang vs. Puertas also confirmed
- Education India's SARAS Telescope Provides Information About The Universe's First Stars And Galaxies
- Movies Entertainment News LIVE Updates: Kiara Advani-Sidharth Malhotra Wedding Date Rumours, BB16 Wild Card Entries
- News NIA conducts multi-state raids in its probe over gangsters-terror networks
- Travel Serra Verde Express – Wild Ride In Brazil
- Technology Oppo Find N2 Foldable Smartphone Spotted On Geekbench; Could Be Powered By Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1
- Automobiles Toyota Pulls The Plug On The Innova Crysta – Removed From Official Website
For a lot of women, miscarriage and abortion are dreadful words they would want to avoid. But there's another thing they dread even more - an unwanted pregnancy. Yet, when a woman is not mentally and physically prepared to take up the responsibility of childbirth, when there are complications and risks with the pregnancy, when pregnancy may pose a threat to the woman's life, an abortion is the only solution.
Abortion is a sensitive issue, and hence, its legal aspects vary from one country to another, ranging from very strict to liberal. That's why a lot of women suffer from anxiety issues as a result of an unwanted pregnancy, overthinking whether or not an abortion would be right for them, whether or not the abortion would put their lives in danger, whether the medical professionals will treat them poorly or carelessly, and so on.
If you can relate to it too, then this article is for you. Here, we discuss 8 natural and herbal methods of abortion you can safely try at home to get rid of your unplanned or unwanted pregnancy.
Why Opt For Herbal Abortion Methods?
When contemplating an abortion, the first and foremost concern that runs in our brain is that of our own safety. How safe would an abortion method be? What side effects will it have on our health? Will it leave us scarred for our lives? Will it render us unable to get pregnant again? This is where herbal and natural methods can be of help.
Even though there are surgical and medical procedures through which a pregnancy can be terminated, a lot of women have inhibitions about getting it done medically. Herbal methods are all natural, safe, have very minimal side effects and don't require you to visit a doctor unless you have another underlying medical condition which may cause complications on consumption of certain herbs in this list.
But, to be on the safe side, you must always visit a doctor or a herbalist before consuming herbs for miscarriage. In fact, herbal methods are more affordable and convenient.
However, the downside to it is that herbal methods don't give you a hundred per cent guarantee of abortion. The chances of abortion are high yet there may be cases wherein it doesn't work. Another thing is that herbal methods can be used only during in the very early stages of pregnancy, especially before the foetus implants. Within one month or one and a half would be the timeline.
Although, considering that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, and given the fact that there are very fewer side effects, herbal methods are worth giving a shot before going to the doctor.
What Precautions Should You Take Before An Abortion?
It is important to address all or most of the issues in your mind, and mentally & physically prepare yourself for an abortion. Moreover, when you're using herbal methods of abortion, you need to take certain precautions in order to stay on the safe side always.
1. Firm decision
Before attempting to terminate your pregnancy, you need to be absolutely sure about it. You must take a firm decision and be a hundred per cent sure about going forward with the decision.
2. Good health
If you have had a history of multiple serious diseases, if you're currently suffering from a disease, or if you have an underlying medical condition, you need to be very cautious before taking herbal alternatives to abortion. Ask your physician whether consuming a certain herbal product would affect your health negatively.
3. Pregnancy timeline
If you are past the first month and a half, it'd be better not to use a herbal remedy. Instead, you must visit the doctor and opt for medical methods of abortion to safely terminate your pregnancy. This is because using herbal remedies past that point may result in certain complications in some women.
4. Unsuccessful abortions
If you've used a herbal remedy to abort your pregnancy before, yet failed, then you must not go for the herbal alternatives again. Your best option will definitely be a medical abortion.
5. Incomplete Abortions
There are chances that the induced abortion or miscarriage results in an incomplete miscarriage. As a result of this, your body can develop sepsis or infections because of the foetal parts remaining in the body. Hence, if you notice vaginal bleeding, foul-smelling discharge, abdominal cramping, nausea, fever or extreme sweating, make sure you visit the doctor as soon as possible as sepsis can turn dangerous.
Once you've taken care of these precautions, you can use any of the following 8 herbal remedies to try and terminate your unwanted pregnancy. Apart from being safe, these are also affordable, accessible and convenient. Yet, you must be warned. It is advised to take only small or moderate amounts of these products so as not to compromise your health. Consult any general medical practitioner or herbalist to know about the right amount of dosages.
Angelica sinensis is commonly known as the female ginseng or dong quai. Even though the herb is used to treat a variety of medical conditions, research suggests not to intake dong quai during pregnancy or breastfeeding as it could alter the activity of uterine contractions and may lead to an abortion. It is also traditionally viewed as a herb that treats irregular menstrual cycle and also increases the risk of abortion. This herb also has certain restrictions. Women with heavy bleeding, flu and abdominal bloating must not consume the herb. In case you're taking medications for any other medical conditions, you must avoid this    .
2. Black cohosh
Scientifically known as the Cimicifuga racemosa, the black cohosh is a herb that has been traditionally linked to the initiation of uterine contractions and also oxytocin production, thereby increasing the chances of a miscarriage. It was also used by the Native Americans to induce menstruation as well as labour. However, only small doses of the herb must be consumed at a time  .
3. Blue cohosh
This name may give you the impression that black and blue cohosh are different versions of the same herb, yet they're not. Blue cohosh actually belongs to an entirely different family of herbs called as the Berberidaceae and is not entirely related to the black cohosh.
Scientifically known as the Caulophyllum thalictroides, this herb is also a potent abortifacient - meaning it will increase your chances of having a miscarriage. It is believed to promote the release of oxytocin and also induce labour  . The blue Cohosh must be consumed in even fewer amounts than the Black Cohosh and consulting a herbalist would be your best bet.
4. Cotton Root Bark
Yet another herbal abortifacient is the cotton root bark, more specifically, the dried cotton root bark which allegedly is used to increase uterine contractions so as to induce labour, or in this case, a miscarriage  . There isn't scientific evidence on how or why this herb gives out that effect, although it has been successfully used in the past to induce abortions.
Mugwort is actually an umbrella term for a variety of species of aromatic plants. It has leaves that look like parsley and is usually used dry for consumption. While consuming this herb, make sure you intake very small amounts in one go as overdosing on it may cause renal problems. Again, there isn't enough scientific evidence which suggests that mugwort can bring about abortion, ye the fact that historically it has been used for the same purpose stands as evidence.
Isn't parsley one of the most common herbs that can be found in almost all our kitchens? In fact, it is also an abortifacient herb that can induce a miscarriage and help you get rid of your unwanted pregnancy. Scientifically known as the Petroselinum crispum, research conducted on it suggests that consuming more than 10 drops of oil of parsley can cause abortions  .
Pennyroyal or Mentha pulegium is sometimes considered as the most potent agent that can induce an abortion. The oil derived from the herb has been used to induce menstruation as well as abortion in humans  . While that is one advantage, the disadvantage of this herb is that it's way too potent and may cause damage to other parts of the body if not taken in the right amounts. That's why, before consuming this specific product, ensure that you visit a herbalist or a doctor for sure.
Yes, you're right. Pineapple isn't a herb, but it has been added as a bonus item to the list because of its abortion-inducing properties. In various countries of the world, it has been used to induce labour. However, it is not clear if Pineapples increase the chance of miscarriage because of the presence of large amounts of vitamin C or because of the presence of an enzyme bromelain which allegedly contributes to cervical ripening. Either way, traditionally pineapple has been used as an abortifacient and you can use it too.
The 8 herbal remedies provided in the article are for reference and informational purposes. As has been warned, if you have an underlying condition or suspect that you might have one, kindly see a doctor before taking any step towards your abortion. While trying out herbal remedies, always remember about what has been written about sepsis and what should be done in case you encounter it. If you're past the one and a half month mark, you can straightaway go to the doctor instead of trying herbal remedies.
-  Bain, D.(2015). Pharmacological and Biochemical Action of Angelica Sinensis (Dong Quai): Natural Product with Therapeutic Potential, International Journal of Recent Research in Life Sciences, 2(3), 8-23
-  Ulbricht, C.E.(2010). Natural Standard Herb & Supplement Guide: An Evidence-Based Reference.(pp.299-301) Maryland Heights, Missouri: Mosby, Elsevier
-  Chan, N., Li, S., & Perez, E. (2016). Interactions between Chinese Nutraceuticals and Western Medicines. Nutraceuticals, 875–882.
-  Rakel,D. (2017). Integrative Medicine. (pp.537). Elsevier
-  Romm, A., Burgess, I., Winston, D., Zick, S. M., & Crawford, A. M. (2010). Conditions of the Reproductive Organs. Botanical Medicine for Women’s Health, 211–255.
-  Awe, E. O., & Banjoko, S. O. (2013). Biochemical and haematological assessment of toxic effects of the leaf ethanol extract of Petroselinum crispum (Mill) Nyman ex A.W. Hill (Parsley) in rats. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 13(1).
-  Hausner, E. A., & Poppenga, R. H. (2013). Hazards Associated with the Use of Herbal and Other Natural Products. Small Animal Toxicology, 335–356.
- womenAll Women Entitled To Safe, Legal Abortion; Rape Includes Marital Rape For Purpose Of MTP Act: SC
- basicsInternational Safe Abortion Day 2022: Safe Abortion - Basic Human Right
- womenViral Video: Medical Students Walk Out From Induction Ceremony As Anti-Abortion Keynote Speaker Takes Stage
- basicsHow Does Abortion Affect A Woman's Mind And Body?
- prenatalDid You Know Eating Papaya, Aloe Vera And Pineapple Can Cause Miscarriage In Early Pregnancy?
- prenatalMissed Abortion (Missed Miscarriage): Causes, Symptoms, Complications And Treatments
- basicsGetting Pregnant After Abortion
- basicsWhat Are The After Effects Of Abortion?
- prenatalIs There A Safe Way To Abort An Early Pregnancy?
- wellnessInternational Women’s Day 2021: 21 Burning Questions On Women’s Health Just Answered!
- basicsTips To Follow After A Miscarriage To Stay Healthy
- basicsHow To Get Pregnant After A Miscarriage?