Contracting any kind of flu is one of the worst feeling that one could ever have. Once you get affected, it takes time to get away from it. As it is well said that prevention is better than cure, so one needs to be very careful about their daily habits in order to prevent the flu.
Be it the strain of flu during the monsoon or the onset of winter, it affects your day-to-day activities. If not taken care of on time then it might lead to other serious health issues and turn fatal at times as well.
Having a healthy diet along with regular exercise and maintaining proper hygiene is very essential to keep the flu at bay. This apart, a strong immune system can help is keeping the flu and infection away.
A new study has found a new flu vaccine that helps to protect against several strains of the flu. Researchers had conducted the test on animals.
For the study on the new vaccine, the researchers had focused on four ancestral genes that the four major flu strains - H1, H2, H3 and H5 share.
During the study that was conducted on mice, the new vaccine was found to protect 100 per cent of the rodents after they were infected with lethal doses of nine different flu viruses, including H1N1, H3N1, H3N2 and H5N1. On the other hand, the other set of mice that were given traditional flu shots died from exposure to the same doses of flu.
Also Read: How High Thyroid Hormone Affects Your Heart
However, the researchers concluded that since the study was done on mice, more research needs to be conducted to determine if the vaccine works in human.
"The ultimate goal is to be able to vaccinate once and provide lifelong protection," said lead study author Assistant Professor Eric Weaver from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
The study was recently published in the journal Scientific.
Here are a few of the best foods that helps in building up a strong immune system. Take a look.
Ginger contains a compound called gingerol that helps in decreasing the inflammation. This helps one to get rid of pain and prevents any kind of flu. All that one needs to do is drink a cup or two of ginger tea on a regular basis.
Garlic contains an important sulphur compound called allicin, and is a must have for it helps fight infections. Adding garlic to your daily food helps in boosting the immune system.
3. Citrus Fruits:
Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C helps in boosting the immune system and thus aids in fighting the infections. Orange, grapefruit and lemon are few of the well known citrus fruits that helps to improve the immune system.
Almonds are one of the best nuts. Rich in vitamin E, vitamin C and also good fats. Having a handful of almonds on a regular basis helps in boosting the immune system.
The curcumin compound found in turmeric is known to have anti-inflammatory properties. Adding a pinch of turmeric to your daily food helps in boosting immunity. Also you could add a teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of warm milk and drink it before going to bed. It helps improve the immune system.
- Scientists To Develop Effective TB Vaccine
- Ebola Vaccine Found Safe In Humans Trials
- Researchers Find A Breakthrough In Malaria Treatment; 6 Ways To Prevent Malaria
- Hyderabad Vaccination Drives Comes to a Halt After 4 Children Fall Sick
- Study Finds Cholera Vaccines Less Effective For Children Under Five
- World Immunization Week 2017: Facts About Importance Of Immunization
- Can Swine Flu Vaccine Given To Pregnant Women Cause Birth Defects In Children?
- Mother's Milk May Work As Good As Vaccination For Newborns
- Mother's Milk May Work As Well As Vaccination For Newborns
- Flu Vaccine May Cut Heart Failure Risk In Diabetes Patients: Finds Research
- Zika Virus: Essential Facts You Need To Know
- Is The Chicken Pox Vaccine Really Necessary?
- 9 Surprising Facts About Common Cold You Never Knew!