14 months old Somnath Shah from Surat has now become one of the youngest organ donor.
Somnath had suffered serious head injuries when he slipped from a ladder while he was playing near his house in Surat on September 2. He was rushed to a private hospital from where he was referred to New Civil Hospital, Surat.
A CT scan revealed a brain haemorrhage and fractured skull. Somnath was declared brain dead on September 4. Following which the hospital authorities contacted an NGO - Donate Life based in Surat. On arrival, representatives from the NGO provided counselling to Somnath's parents.
Once they were convinced the harvesting of organs was conducted. Somnath's heart was flown to Mumbai and transplanted in Aaradhya Mule, a three-year-old girl from Navi Mumbai who had been suffering from a rare heart disease known as dilated cardiomyopathy for the last one and a half years.
Meanwhile Somnath's kidneys will be transplanted in a 15-year-old boy from Deesa, Gujarat, who had been suffering from acute renal failure for the past 10 years.
- What Happens To Your Organs During Pregnancy
- 15 Impressive Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil
- Bengaluru’s Top Hospitals Join Hands To Spread Awareness On Organ Donation
- Organ Donation Day; Important Organs That You Can Donate
- Organ Donation Day: Consider These Factors While Donating Organs
- Can An Alcoholic Donate Organs For Transplantation?