A recent study showed that those infected with H1N1 influenza, which is popularly known as swine flu, are at an increased risk of being affected by type 1 diabetes.
The study found that those who were infected with H1N1 influenza virus, or hospitalized with influenza, were twice as likely to go on to develop type 1 diabetes than the general population.
This association was found to be stronger amidst children aged 15 years or younger, who had a 25% increased chance of developing type 1 diabetes.
You all are aware that type 1 diabetes is a chronic autoimmune disease, in which the immune system destroys the cells needed to control blood sugar levels.
The research which was conducted from the Norwegian Institute Of Public Health And Oslo University Hospital, Norway, found out that those who were reported with this pandemic were 18% more likely to be diagnosed with type 1 diabetes than those who did not have it.
In this article, we have listed the top 10 tips to prevent swine flu that is very useful to steer clear off this disease. Read further to know the best preventive measures for swine flu.
1. Wash Your Hands:
You need to wash your hands often in hot soapy water and for a number of times that helps in killing the germs effectively.
2. Get Enough Sleep:
Trying to get eight hours of sleep each night to keep your immune system to keep your body in a flu-fighting shape is necessary.
3. Keep Yourself Hydrated:
You need to drink 8-10 glasses of water each day to flush toxins from your system and maintain good moisture and mucous production in your sinuses.
4. Eat Immune-boosting Foods:
Keeping your body strong, nourished and ready to fight infection is important in swine flu prevention. Fatty foods can slow down your metabolism and compromise your immune system. You need to eat grains, vegetables and vitamin-rich fruits.
5. Avoid Alcohol:
Alcohol is an immune suppressant that can decrease your viral infections like swine flu. For women, alcohol suppresses oestrogen production that further impairs the immune system.
6. Keep Yourself Physically Active:
Mild to moderate exercise for 3-4 times in a week supports the immune system by increasing the circulation, oxygenating the body, releasing tension and stress, etc. hence, it is important to keep yourself physically fit.
7. Be Vigilant Of Surfaces:
This is more of a mindfulness exercise. Be aware of the public surfaces that you touch, when you have shaken hands with someone, when you're sharing things, etc. You must also not touch your face until you have washed your hands. This is one of the best tips to prevent swine flu.
8. Avoid Contact With Sick People:
Flu virus is spread when particles dispersed into the air through a cough or sneeze reach someone else's nose. If you're trying to cough or sneeze, cover your nose and then wash your hands. Also, avoid physical contact with people who are sick.
9. Know When To Get Help:
Swine flu can look like regular flu, so you needn't necessarily exhibit flu-like symptoms. You need to go to the doctor if you live in an area where there are documented cases of swine flu in the recent past.
10. Avoid Stress:
Stress can release hormones into our body that can compromise the immune system. This can make us more susceptible to viruses like swine flu virus. You need to be vigilant in controlling your mind and body. This is one of the best preventive measures for swine flu.
- Swine Flu: 9 Deaths, 58 Positive Cases In Punjab; How To Boost Immunity & Prevent H1N1?
- Fresh Cases of Swine Flu Reported From Delhi, 517 Confirmed Cases; Know How It Spreads
- Swine Flu On The Rise: Aamir Khan And Kiran Rao Latest Victims!
- Delhi Witness Rise In Swine Flu (H1N1) Cases; 5 Ways To Prevent Swine Flu
- H1N1 (Swine Flu): India Witness 600 Deaths, 12,500 Positive Cases Till Date in 2017
- H1N1 & Leptospirosis Claims 7 Lives In Mumbai In July Till Date
- Follow These Few Easy Tips To Prevent H1N1 (Swine Flu)
- Tips To Overcome Swine Flu
- 15 Best Home Remedies For Swine Flu
- Precaution Is Better Than Cure, Be Aware And Know The Difference Between Swine Flu And Seasonal Flu
- Is Swine Flu Back In India?
- Swine Flu Symptoms In Children And Adults
- 9 Surprising Facts About Common Cold You Never Knew!