When we say a great leader, what do we exactly mean? What are the qualities that make a great leader? History has seen some very influential people making it to the top.
People have idealised them and, till date, they remain to be the greatest of all the leaders on earth. Here, we will take a look at 7 leaders we all must follow to help us become a better human being.
But, before we discuss these great leaders, it would be good to understand the qualities that took them to such heights.
Humbleness, for sure, is a quality possessed by every great leader. One who proclaims himself to be great rarely commands respect.
Leading by example is an important attribute. If one does not follow what he/she professes then, no matter how well worded a speech is, it is never going to have an impact on the people.
Honesty of thought, action and behaviour is a quality that a great leader should possess. One who is honest with himself will have the courage to be honest with others and this is a quality that is always looked upon.
A positive attitude always delivers positive results. And this is another feature a great leader possesses.
Before you make someone your role model and decide upon the leaders, you must follow and take sometime to know them. Read, research and think.
Here are a couple of examples of some of the great leaders across decades and centuries. They were remarkable in their fields and had qualities that made them stand out in a crowd.
1. Bill Gates: We all know about Bill Gates. Microsoft is a common name in every household and office. The revolution Gates brought about in the software field is truly remarkable. But, Bill Gates is not just Microsoft.
There is more to him. Being one of the richest men in the world, he has not used the money solely for himself, but has made efforts to make the world a better place through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
2. APJ Abdul Kalam: Born in a not-so-well-to-do family, this remarkable personality went on to become the President of India. As a scientist, he made unparalleled contribution in the field of nuclear science, taking India towards joining the group of nations holding nuclear power.
Though a prominent person, he always remained to be the humble person that he was and remains to be a source of inspiration for generations to come.
3. Mahatma Gandhi: Many freedom fighters fought for India. Each one had their own beliefs and methods, but it was Mahatma Gandhi who brought together the entire nation. His policy of non-violence proved to be so powerful that the British were eventually forced to leave India for good.
4. Franklin D Roosevelt: Commonly known as FDR, he was the 32nd president of the United States. He assumed office at the peak of the Great Depression and acted as a driving force in helping all the Americans regain their confidence.
He was a symbol of immense positivity and strength. It was under his able leadership that US fought the Second World War.
5. Mother Teresa: She was not a politician, not an industrialist or an influential person at the high rank, but she was not less than a leader. She was a leader of love, compassion, caring and kindheartedness.
It was due to her efforts that many ailing and sick people got the care that they deserved. As the founder of the Order of the Missionaries of Charity, she reached out to the innumerable sick and poor people.
6. Nelson Mandela: When the topic of anti-apartheid movement is discussed, the name of Nelson Mandela will always be the first one to be mentioned.
It was due to his perseverance and unrelenting efforts that apartheid was abolished and Mandela went on to become the first black President of South Africa.
7. Winston Churchill: Being a Prime Minister of a country at the time of a war is a very sensitive state. However, if the person in office was Winston Churchill, the task did not seem to be difficult.
His inspiring speeches pulled Great Britain out of the dumps of near defeat towards the light of victory. Being an influential personality, he was re-elected to the office as PM for the second time in 1951.
History is full of people who have been successful leaders. Here we have listed down only 7 leaders who have given us a meaning and direction in life. There are many more such great leaders from whom we should draw inspiration from in our daily lives.