- 3 hrs ago Daily Horoscope: 23 January 2020
- 11 hrs ago Can You Get Pregnant While On Birth Control Pills?
- 12 hrs ago 11 Health Benefits Of Doing Pushups Daily
- 13 hrs ago Did You Know These Benefits of Drinking Green Tea Before Bed
- News JKBOSE 12th Kashmir result 2019 declared on jkbose.ac.in
- Movies Ala Vaikunthapuramloo Day 11 Worldwide Box Office: Film Maintains A Winning Streak
- Technology Upcoming Samsung Premium Smartphones Expected To Launch In 2020
- Sports Thailand Masters: Saina, Srikanth crash out, India's challenge ends at BWF World Tour Super 300 event
- Finance Budget 2020: Govt May Tweak 5% Tax Slab To Include Upto Rs 7 Lakh Income
- Automobiles MG ZS Electric SUV Registers 2,800 Units In Bookings Within 27 Days Of Unveil
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Jammu and Kashmir In 2020
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
With its 12 meter wingspan and 100 meter cable tethering it to the ocean floor, the kites are small compared to other tidal energy designs, which, apparently is one of the big advantages to Deep Green.
The kite"s small size lets its turbine operate at greater depths, where currents are slower, boldly going where no tidal turbine has gone before.
When anchored, Deep Green can be steered to capture tidal energy, ten times faster than the speed of the waves.
When operational, one Deep Green sea kite is expected to generate 500 kilowatts of power.
However, it will be a few years before sea kites power your toaster. Testing is scheduled to start in Northern Ireland in 2011.
Minesto hopes to have a commercial model of Deep Green out in four years.
The main drawback of tidal turbines is its high cost. However, the predictability of the tides makes up for it.