- Movies IT'S OFFICIAL! Karan Johar To Present Vijay Deverakonda's VD10 With Puri Jagannadh; Read Deets
- Technology Instagram No Longer To Use IGTV Button
- Finance Airtel Offers Rs. 2 Lakh Insurance With Its Rs. 179 Tariff Plans
- Sports KL Rahul set to continue as wicketkeeper-batsman for a while: Virat Kohli
- News Budget 2020: Modi govt plans to restrict purchase of Duty-free liquor to one bottle, cigarettes
- Automobiles Maruti Suzuki Eeco BS-VI Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 3.81 Lakh
- Education Tanmatra: A Women Leadership Programme From IIM Bangalore
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Delhi In 2020
There has always been a historical bias against Asian beauties. Whether it was their dusky complexion or shape of their eyes, it has taken quite some time by an Asian woman to fit into the commercial mould of beauty. A passing look at the list Miss Universe winners will put this point in perspective.
The Miss Universe pageant has been happening since 1952 and in these 60 years, there have been 10 Miss Universe winners who were famous Asian beauties. Here is a list of the Asian women who rocked the world with their beauty.
Asian Winners For Miss Universe Title:
Miss Japan:The first ever Asian beauty to become Miss Universe was, Akiko Kojima who won this world beauty pageantin 1959. And after 48 years, another Miss Japan won the title of Miss Universe. Riyo Mori cracked the Miss Universe competition recently in 2007. She is a dance instructor by profession which contributes to her graceful gait.
Miss Thailand:After Japan, it was the tiny country of Thailand that put Asia on the world beauty scene. Soon after Akiko, Apasra Hongsakula won the tittle of Miss Universe in 1965. Apsara has been an icon for Thailand tourism ever since she won the crown. Glory came back to Thailand when Porntip Nakhirunkanok won the Miss Universe title in 1988. She was one of the youngest Miss Universe Winners and was crowned at the age of 19.
Miss Philippines:The nation of Philippines has also given the world two dazzling beauty queens. First was Gloria Diaz in the year 1969. She later became a famous actress in the Philippines's film industry. She was just 18 when she won the title. Just 4 years later another Asian beauty from Philippines, Margarita Moran won the crown.
Miss India:India too has contributed 2 winners to this beauty contest of Miss Universe. The first Indian to win the title of Miss Universe is the famous Sushmita Sen. She won the title in 1994, defeating Aishwarya Rai (who won Miss World that year). Sushmita went on to become a Bollywood actress and brand ambassador of many premium brands. India had to wait for 6 years before the next beauty queen came forth. Lara Dutta won the crown of Miss Universe in 2000. During this eventful year, Indian beauty queens ruled all the 3 titles- Miss Universe, Miss World and Miss Asia-Pacific!
These were some of the most illustrious winners of the Miss Universe contest who were Asians. Who is your favourite?