Keeping them at home and feeding them insects is not really necessary. The pet birds tend to change their food habits as they grow ie according to the way they are fed. They can be fed with seeds, grains, green food, nuts and fresh water in abundance. Take a look at the top love bird food types for a better care of the feathery friends.
Top 8 Foods For Love Birds -
1. Whole cereals and whole grains: Amaranth, Barley, Couscous, Flax, whole-grain Pastas, Oat, Quinoa (truly a Fruit but used as a Cereal), whole-Wheat, Wild-Rice, whole Rices.
2. Edible flowers: Carnations, Chamomille, Chives, Dandelion, Day Lilies, Eucalyptus, Fruit tree's blossoms, Herbs' blossoms, Hibiscus, Honeysuckle, Impatiens, Lilac, Nasturtiums, Pansies, Passion Flower, Roses, Sunflowers, Tulips, Violets. Note that the leaves of some of these plants are poisonous to pets like Love birds.
3. Greens and grasses: Bok-Choy, Broccoli &/or Cauliflower leaves, Cabbage leaves, Collard greens, Dandelion leaves, Kelp, Mustard leaves, Seaweeds, Spirulina
4. Fruits: All Apple varieties (remove all seeds as they are poisonous) , fresh Banana, all Berries varieties, all Citrus varieties, Grapes, Kiwi, Mango, Melons, Nectarine, Papaya, Peach, all Pear varieties, Plum, Star-fruit.
5. Legumes: Almonds, Beans, Lentils, Peas, Nuts and Tofu. They contain a lot of proteins and vitamins.
6. Grain and legume sprouts: Adzuki beans, Alfalfa beans, Buckwheat, Lentils, Mungo beans, Pinto beans, Red Kidney beans, Sesame seeds, Sunflower seeds.
7. Vegetables: Beet, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots, Cucumber, all Cabbage varieties, fresh Beans, fresh Romane Lettuce, fresh Peas, Parsnip, all Pepper varieties, all Squash varieties, Sweet potatoes, Tomato, Turnip, Yams, Zucchini.
8. Pellets: There are special pellets made for pet birds like love birds and parrots which can be a healthy addition to the diet.
There are a few food items which are a big no for the love birds like Lima, Navy beans, Avocado, and Rhubarb. These food stuff can cause damage to pet's liver.