- 51 min ago Hina Khan Looks Insanely Beautiful In Her Ivory Leaf-Patterns Sari
- 2 hrs ago Grammys 2020: Priyanka Chopra Jonas Impresses In A Satin Gown But Disappoints In A Sequin Kimono
- 5 hrs ago 9 Interesting Health Benefits Of Pecans
- 6 hrs ago 12 Home Remedies For COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
- Sports Martin Guptill swears at Yuzvendra Chahal in Hindi on live TV
- Finance Centre To Increase Deposit Insurance To Rs. 5 Lakh, Pay More On Bank Failure
- Movies Hrithik Roshan's Mother Pinkie Roshan Shakes A Leg To 'Ghungroo' Song At Sunaina's Birthday Bash
- News Explained: Who is this gynecologist from Ladakh who was awarded the Padma Bhushan
- Automobiles Tata Altroz Imaginator Launched: Five Options To Customize Your Altroz At The Factory
- Technology Poco X2 Possibly With Snapdragon 730g To Be Unveiled On February 4
- Travel 10 Most Popular Historical Places And Sites In Karnataka
- Education IIM Bangalore Women In Leadership Course Tanmatra
On a foggy morning walk, I came across a natural garden gate in Coorg. It was made of dried twigs and to adorn the brown colour small bright flowers peeped in with a naughty wink. A doorplate made of hewn wood, was laid hanging near the arch of the gate, which read, "Come, view our beautiful paradise." As I opened the wonder gate, I felt that I had a transition from the outer world to inner picturesque beauty.
Garden gates can be be more than a common gate, with flowers surrounding a white picket fence. Add vigor to the age old classic gates and make them mysterious, fancy or must view elements of your garden with these gardening tips.
Garden gate types
Reflect philosophy or purpose of the garden with the material and types you use. Convey openness by fixing pickets or wrought iron gates. If you desire to give an air of mystery or privacy make sure the gate is made of solid wood. Stained glass, wrought iron, brass, copper and bamboo can also be integrated into the garden gate.
Iron can be truly elegant and sleek or even rustic. The metal can be bent into almost any shape you desire, from free-flowing, organic or even geometrical. For a serene feeling go for 'bamboo' as it will give your garden a more exotic look. They can be put together to form a solid gate which is great for gardens that wish to be private.
Garden gate colour
Colours of the gate personify the theme of the garden. So choose them wisely.
If the garden is close to your house, choose a color to match your home.
Black is a popular choice for decades as it brings bright focus to the garden. The dark shade also absorbs light and allows the visitors to enjoy the natural beauty in the flowers and plants in the design.
A bright eye-catching color will help in brightening the landscape design, especially in foggy winter months. For a slightly different look you can even combine wood with other materials such as iron.
Dark shades of green or forest green on wooden gate is also a great choice for varied landscapes. Th colour blends itself to become a part of the landscape.
If you love classic style in landscaping design then go for gray coloured wooden gates. This traditional color is second only to white.
Caring for garden gates
Although wood adds on to the classy look of the landscape it is difficult to maintain as it is a a high maintenance product. However, it can have a very long life if it is cared for properly. Just like the way you care for other wooden products in the garden, you need to do some sanding and staining every few years to keep it looking good.
Bamboo will need regular maintenance. Apply a coat of polyurethane after installing the bamboo,as it helps in protecting it from the elements. Make sure that the polyurethane has UV protection. Wrought iron is the best for really low maintenance, as it is a generally rust-resistant. However you can paint it if needed as it will help in protecting it from rust.
Follow these simple tips and choose a gate that complements your style and that of your garden or lawn decor.