- 23 min ago Healthy And Nutritous Khichdi With Dalia Recipe
- 1 hr ago Samudra Manthan: Know About 14 Ratnas That Emerged From Churning Of The Ocean Of Milk
- 2 hrs ago Know About The Famous Six Temples Of Lord Muruga In Tamil Nadu
- 2 hrs ago 'Need A Break From All This Stress': Man Spent Nine Months Living Like A Goat
- News Police van carrying accused Aftab Poonawala attacked in Delhi
- Movies Is Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 10’s Rubina Dilaik Planning A Baby With Abhinav Shukla? Here’s What We Know
- Sports FIFA World Cup 2022: Andre Onana sent home for disciplinary reasons
- Finance Maharatna PSU Stock Issues NCDs Worth Rs 2,500 Crore, Shares Rally
- Technology Oppo Find N2 Foldable Smartphone Spotted On Geekbench; Could Be Powered By Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1
- Education UPSC Topper Girls Partaking in Their Strategies and Tips for Aspirants!
- Automobiles Toyota Pulls The Plug On The Innova Crysta – Removed From Official Website
- Travel The Arizona Trail – Best Mountain Biking Trail In The World
A $3.5 million (₹285,320,350.00 INR) one-time treatment for hemophilia has been approved by U.S. FDA on Tuesday. For adults with hemophilia B, a less common form of the genetic disorder which primarily affects men, the Food and Drug Administration has approved Hemgenix, an IV treatment for the disease .
Details About The Most Expensive Drug Ever
"Today's approval provides a new treatment option for patients with hemophilia B and represents important progress in the development of innovative therapies," said the FDA's Dr. Peter Marks .
Point 1: Hemgenix is the most expensive medicine in the world according to a study cited by the National Library of Medicine, easily topping Novartis' Zolgensma gene therapy for spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), which costs just over $2 million (163,310,022 INR per dose) and is also a single-dose treatment .
Point 2: According to the agency, patients should benefit from the treatment for years to come due to reduced bleeding and increased clotting.
Point 3: The Pennsylvania-based drugmaker CSL Behring announced the price tag shortly after FDA approval, claiming the drug would ultimately reduce health care costs by reducing bleeding incidents and clotting treatments.
Point 4: Most of the costs of the new treatment will be covered by insurers, not patients, including private plans and government programs .
What Is Haemophilia?
A person with haemophilia usually has an inherited bleeding disorder that can cause spontaneous bleeding as well as bleeding following an injury or surgical procedure. The blood contains several proteins called clotting factors that can prevent bleeding .
The two most common types of haemophilia are Haemophilia A (Classic Haemophilia), caused by a lack of or decrease in clotting factor VIII, and Haemophilia B (Christmas Disease), caused by a lack or decrease in clotting factor IX.
One in every 5,000 males is born with haemophilia A, which is four times as common as haemophilia B, and about half of those with haemophilia A are affected by the severe form .
It is rare for someone to develop haemophilia at a later stage in life. In this case, hemophilia tends to affect people in their middle age or elderly, as well as young women who have recently given birth or are in the later stages of pregnancy. Treatment is usually effective in resolving this condition.
When left untreated, haemophilia can cause bleeding that seeps into joints and internal organs, including the brain. Small cuts and bruises can cause life-threatening bleeding for people with haemophilia.
The prevalence of haemophilia in India is low, at 0.7 per 1,000 people.
- wellnessThe FDA Approved A New Drug Aduhelm To Treat Alzheimer’s, But Medicare Insurance Won’t Always Pay For It
- disorders cureCOVID-19: FDA Authorizes Blood Purification Device For Treatment Of Coronavirus
- disorders cureDrug For Anemic Cancer May Raise Death Risk!
- disorders cureLupus: What Causes This Autoimmune Condition? Types, Symptoms, Complications And Treatment
- wellnessOmega-3 That Can Destroy Cancer Cells: A New Promise For Cancer Treatment
- disorders cureWhat Is Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP)? Causes And Treatment
- disorders cureWHO Publishes First Ebola Treatment Guideline
- disorders cureAshton Kutcher's Autoimmune Disorder Left Him Blind And Disabled: Know About Vasculitis Causes And Treatment
- wellnessMigraine Sufferers Have Treatment Choices - Neurologist Explains Options Beyond Just Pain Medication
- wellnessIIT-Mandi Team Discovers Molecule That Can Be Used For The Treatment Of Diabetes
- disorders cureExpert Article: What Is Amenorrhea? Causes And Treatment
- disorders cureWhat Is Aseptic Abscess Syndrome? The Case Of 21-Yr-Old Woman Treated At Hyderabad Hospital