Insomnia is a common sleep disorder that is characterized by staying asleep or difficulty in falling asleep. This results in fatigue, poor performance, tension headaches, irritability, depression and various other problems.
If you have been awake until 2 AM, then you are suffering with insomnia. It is one of the least-understood sleep disorders. Adults need an average of 8-9 hours of sleep daily at night, otherwise one might feel miserable and will end up tossing and turning in bed.
There are two types of insomnia that can be noted commonly - acute and chronic insomnia. Acute insomnia is brief and it tends to resolve without any treatment. Chronic insomnia is disrupted sleep that occurs at least three nights per week, which is way more worse.
This type of chronic insomnia is caused by unhealthy sleep habits, late-night shifts, and other clinical disorders. Let's have a look at the top 11 Indian home remedies for insomnia.
1. Take A Hot Bath
Taking a hot shower two hours before going to bed can be of great help in treating insomnia. A study found out that women with insomnia who took a hot bath for about 90 minutes slept much better than those who didn't. A hot bath relaxes your body and soothes the nerve endings.
- Add a few drops of soothing essential oils like chamomile, rosemary or lavender oil to the bath water.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has amino acids that relieve fatigue. It also helps in breaking down the fatty acids that release tryptophan. This will regulate a proper sleep cycle.
- Mix 2 teaspoons each of apple cider vinegar and honey in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this mixture before going to sleep.
3. Fenugreek Water
Drinking fenugreek water every day will not only help the body to function properly but will also promote better sleep. Fenugreek is known to reduce insomnia, anxiety and dizziness.
- Soak a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a bowl of water. Leave it overnight.
- Strain this water and drink it daily.
4. Warm Milk
Drinking warm milk before going to bed is an excellent remedy to relax your mind and body. It contains tryptophan that promotes good sleep.
- Boil a glass of milk and mix a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to it.
- Drink it before bedtime.
Banana is useful in combating insomnia and other sleep-related disorders. It contains minerals like iron, calcium and potassium that promote a good sleep.
- Eat a banana before going to bed or you can have it as a salad mixed with honey.
6. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is a well-known natural home remedy for insomnia. Enjoying a cup of chamomile tea will induce sleep and relaxation.
- Boil a cup of water and add chamomile flowers to it.
- Steep it for 5 minutes and then strain and drink it before bedtime.
Saffron can treat sleep disorders like insomnia due to its mild sedative properties that help to relax the nerves and calm your mind.
- Steep two strands of saffron in a cup of warm milk and drink it before bedtime.
8. Cumin Seeds
Cumin is a culinary spice with medicinal properties that induces sleep. It also aids in proper digestion.
- You can make yourself a cup of cumin tea or you can mix one teaspoon of cumin powder in a mashed banana and eat it before going to bed.
9. Aniseed Water
Aniseed is an excellent spice that cools down your body and cures sleep disorder. It is used in culinary dishes and saves you from the side effects of medication.
- Soak a tablespoon of aniseed in a glass of water.
- Strain the water after two hours and drink it.
Honey has the ability to put you off to sleep quickly as soon as you consume it. Natural raw honey helps in curing a sleep disorder like insomnia.
- Mix honey with warm water and drink this mixture before going to bed.
11. Herbal Teas
Herbal teas help in promoting a better quality of sleep and thus they are very effective in curing insomnia. Herbal teas produce body heat, thus making a person sleepy.
- Drink any herbal tea like chamomile or green tea before going to bed.
Share this article!
If you liked reading this article, share it with your close ones.
ALSO READ: 10 Natural Home Remedies For Heel Pain
TRENDING ON ONEINDIA
- Between 2004 And 2018, National Parties Collected Rs 8721.14 Crore From Unknown Sources
- India Beats New Zealand In 1st ODI — Catch The Highlights
- New Mahindra Thar Model’s Spy Pics Out Again — Is It The Largest Indian Off-Roader Ever Made?
- Best Smartphones With Android Pie To Buy In India 2019
- What Are MSMEs Expecting From The Interim Budget 2019?
- Ajay Devgn Shares His Opinion On MeToo Movement
- The Surreal Mahoba, An Offbeat Gem In Uttar Pradesh
- Why Sleep With Your Socks On?