Ankol (Alangium Salvifolium) is an Ayurvedic medicinal plant which offers endless number of health benefits. Various products of Ankol herb, like the bark, fruits, seeds and oil, are used for medicinal purposes.
Ankol herb is found mainly in the dry regions and lower hilly areas of India. It is found in China, Sri Lanka, Southeast Asia and Africa as well.
This herb, which is thorny in nature and grows up to 10 metres, is particularly helpful in curing rabies and skin diseases.
So, here are 20 health benefits that Ankol herb provides us with, have a look.
1. Ankol root bark is used both externally and internally for the treatment of rabies.
2. Use root bark externally to cure skin problems like Eczema. The oil helps in curing itching.
3. Ankol herb is used for treating diarrhoea, abdominal pain and fever. The tree bark's carminative and laxative properties help in this.
4. The Ankol fruit, which is sour and sweet in taste, is used in curing a variety of health problems like accumulation of mucus in the chest, constipation and also menstrual bleeding.
5. Ankol root powder helps in curing accumulation of fluid in the abdominal area, which causes extreme swelling.
6. Ankol root taken along with lemon juice two hours before the meal helps in the treatment of asthma.
7. Consumption of a mixture of Ankol root and hot water can alleviate pain during urination.
8. A mixture of three grams of Ankol root and two grams of dry ginger powder works wonders in treating dengue.
9. Ankol leaves are the helping agent in the treatment of gout, a kind of arthritis.
10. This herb is also effective against snake bites and stings.
11. It treats lower back pain and gives comfort against muscle inflammation.
12. Ankol herb twigs can also be used for brushing.
13. It helps flush out the waste from the body, including tapeworms and ringworms.
14. Ankol oil helps in curing premature ejaculation and stimulates sex drive.
15. It helps athletes to increase physical stamina.
16. It cures swelling and stiffness in the bones caused by osteoarthritis.
17. Ankol herb reduces possibility of high blood pressure by regulating its blow in the arteries.
18. Ankol herb also aids in the proper functioning of the blood cells and reduces the possibilities of blood disorder.
19. This medicinal plant also protects us from Herpes, a viral infection which can occur at various areas of the body.
20. Ankol fruits and seeds have coolant properties that enhance the body's strength.
Side Effects Of Using Ankol Products:
There are, however, certain side effects of this strong medicinal herb which we must take a note of before using this herb. Have a look.
• The bark should be taken in recommended doses, or it can lead to vomiting.
• The Ankol leaves have alkaloids that weaken the mechanism of muscular contractions.
• Ankol root bark gives a purgative effect.
• Other side effects of Ankol can include headache, insomnia, abdominal discomfort, vertigo, burning sensation and stomach upset.
Use Sankhapushpi herb if you are suffering from an overdose of Ankol herb. If you have a high dose of any Ankol product, you can take Shankhpushpi, which is another herb, to give you relief.
Dosage of Ankol:
It is very important to limit the dosage of the Ankol herb to two grams a day. While roots or root barks or stems can be taken between 125 mg and 2000 mg, amount of Ankol leaves, fruits and seeds should not be more than two grams. The intake of Ankol oil can be between 2 and 175 drops at the most.