- 15 hrs ago Tribute: American Country Music Icon Loretta Lynn No More At 90
- 15 hrs ago Navratri 2022: Goddess Chamunda Shakti Peeth Of Himachal Pradesh
- 17 hrs ago Balaji (Hanuman) of Mehandipur In Rajasthan: Timings, How To Reach, Puja Rituals And Legends
- 22 hrs ago Daily Horoscope, 05 October 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- Sports Legends League Cricket: Full List of Award Winners, Player of the Match, Player of the Tournament
- Finance Prabhudas Lilladher Picks 5 Stocks To Buy Amid Festive Cheer For Gains Up To 20%
- News In Pics: Effigies of Ravana go up in flames as India celebrates Dussehra
- Education JIO ANNOUNCES THE LAUNCH OF JIO TRUE 5G
- Movies Bigg Boss 16 Day 5 Highlights: Kili Paul Enters The House; Performs With Abdu Rozik And Mc Stan
- Automobiles Mahindra XUV300 Sportz Edition Spotted - Comes With More Power & A Few Visual Tweaks
- Travel Most Interesting Facts About Kullu Dussehra
- Technology Google Pixel 7 vs Pixel 7 Pro: What Differences Can We Expect?
Greying of hair is a natural process. If your hair turns grey at a young age, it is called premature greying and needs medical attention. There are many grey hair reasons. Some of them are related to lifestyle.
Some lifestyle causes of premature greying are smoking, faulty diet, stress and unhealthy hair care methods. Other grey hair reasons are Vitamin B12 deficiency, hormonal imbalance and early menopause.
As a person ages, the capability to synthesise the normal amount of melanin pigment (responsible for giving black colour to the hair) declines. This ultimately results in grey or whitening of hair.
You must be aware of causes of grey hair so that you can take effective treatments. Today, Boldsky shares with you grey hair reasons and causes of grey hair at an early age.
One of the grey hair reasons is thyroid disease. An underactive or overactive thyroid can affect the melanin production in the hair and result in premature greying. So, always have a check on your thyroid levels.
Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Deficiency of B12 has been linked to premature greying of hair. Vitamin B12, zinc and copper are responsible for the nourishment of hair. Always include foods rich in vitamin B12 in your diet.
The main reason for grey hair at early age is genetic. The offspring is more prone to have grey hair earlier in life if its parent has the same problem. This is one of the grey hair reasons.
Vitamin C and E
If the body is suffering from lack of Vitamin C and E, then the hair turns grey. Their deficiency can decrease the amount of melanin producing cells and thereby cause grey hair. This is one of the causes of grey hair at an early age.
Smoking is also one of the factors responsible for premature greying of hair. Smoking produces free radicals in the body of the smoker and these free radicals decrease melanin, resulting in greying of hair.
Junk food is one the reasons of grey hair at young age. Junk foods or processed food accelerate ageing by decreasing the production of melanin in hair. People who are highly addicted to junk food are prone to grey hair at a young age.
Stress can have many harmful effects and one of them is hair loss and premature greying. Shock, sorrow and anxiety can reduce the amount of melanin cells, thus leading to premature greying.
Why am I getting grey hair? Not having a well-balanced diet means you are lacking many nutrients. When your body doesn't get the proper supply of vitamins and minerals, it stops functioning properly. This can cause many health problems, including grey hair.
Excessive use of electric dryers and hair irons
This makes the hair shaft weak. The heat produced by them can affect melanin production in hair and cause premature greying.
Dirty conditions of the scalp
An unclean scalp due to insufficient hygiene may be another cause for premature hair greying. If you do not take good care of your hair, it will go grey. This is one of the grey hair reasons that you must not avoid.
Frequent use of hair dyes can damage hair. The chemicals present in them can also damage the melanin cells. This can lead to premature greying of hair.
Washing hair with hard water
Minerals and oxidisers present in hard water cause hair fall; dry, dull, thin and frizzy hair.
It also causes greying of hair.
Hormonal changes greatly contribute to the condition of your skin and hair. Any major hormonal changes in body in conditions such as pregnancy or thyroid disease can cause premature greying.
Women who suffer from early menopause are at risk of premature greying and may need medical attention.
Folic acid deficiency
Folic acid is essential for many bodily processes. A deficiency of this vitamin may not only slow your hair's growth, but it can also cause your strands to turn grey.
- wellnessExpert Article: 8 Evils To Win Over This Dussehra For Perfect Mental Well-Being
- wellnessOld Age Is A Risk Factor For Pneumonia Due To The Omicron Variant: Study
- relationshipReasons Why Crying Could Determine Your Strengths, Not Weaknesses
- disorders cureActor Ajith Kumar Tweets ‘Protect Your Ears': Know More About Hearing Disorder Tinnitus
- wellnessExpert Article: Managing Digestive System Disease Naturally In Rainy Season
- offer of the dayCervical Pillow, Ankle Support, Weighing Machine, Wheelchair And More Health Products On Sale: Up To 60% Off
- wellnessEvery Seven Years Comes With A New Life Challenge: What Happens To Us During These Phases?
- zodiac signsBest Yoga Poses For 12 Zodiac Signs
- nutritionAre Rice Cakes Healthy? Do They Help With Weight Loss?
- wellnessUnstable Weather And Heavy Rains Leave Bangaloreans Feeling Feverish With A Sore Throat - Here's Why
- wellnessMinor Daily Things You Do That Are Bad For Your Health: No 8 Is Surprising!
- wellness'Tobacco Causes Painful Death': New Health Warning From December 1 On Tobacco Packs