- 18 min ago Miss India 2022: Sini Shetty From Karnataka Wins The Beauty Pageant
- 13 hrs ago Expert Article: Receded Gums, Its Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis And Treatment
- 16 hrs ago July 2022: Numerological Predictions For This Month
- 19 hrs ago Weekly Horoscope, 02 July To 09 July 2022, Check This Week Horoscope Prediction For All Zodiac Signs
- Sports Wimbledon: Sinner labels Alcaraz triumph one of his best after sinking Spanish star's hopes
- Movies Khatron Ke Khiladi 12 Episode 2 Highlights: Erika Packard Gets Eliminated From The Rohit Shetty Show
- News Denmark: Several people shot at Copenhagen shopping mall, police say
- Education PSEB Class 10th Result 2022 : Punjab Board Likely To Declare 10th Results In First Week Of July
- Technology Week 26, 2022 Launch Roundup: OnePlus Nord 2T, Samsung Galaxy XCover6 Pro, Nokia G11 Plus, And More
- Automobiles Royal Enfield Himalayan Gets Two New Colour Options
- Finance Gold Rates Increase Around Rs. 1350 In India In Past 2 Days: See Why?
- Travel Some Great Tips For Mothers Traveling With Infants And Children
Christmas in my family is not complete without this traditional Fruit cake or as commonly called plum cake. (Although there are no plums used to make this cake). I soaked my fruits almost a month before, but even if you soak the fruits and nuts in rum and brandy a week before making this cake, the results are pretty boozilicious.
I have been making this cake since many Christmas and is a hit with my friends and family. The rich dark color comes from the use of brown sugar and caramel and the rum and brandy soaked fruits and nuts gives it an amazing flavour. Here is my favorite recipe to make this cake.
- Fruits soaked in rum and brandy- 3 cups
To make caramel
- Granulated sugar- 1 cup
- Water- 1 cup
For the cake
- All purpose flour- 2 and ½ cup
- Instant coffee powder- 1tsp
- Baking powder- 2tsp
- Cinnamon powder- 1tsp
- Clove powder- 1tsp
- Cardamom powder- ½ tsp
- Nutmeg powder- ½ tsp
- Salt- ¼ tsp
- Unsalted butter- 1 cup
- Dark brown sugar- 1 and ½ cup (packed)
- Eggs- 5
- Vanilla extract- 2tsp
- Caramel- 1 cup
- Soaked fruits- 3 cups
- Rum- 2tsp
To make the caramel
- Take sugar in a pan.
- Keep the pan on heat and keep tilting it till sugar melts.
- Do not use a spatula.
- Keep swirling the melted sugar till it turns a dark brown color. Be careful not to burn the sugar.
- Remove the pan from heat once the sugar has darkened.
- Add water.
- Be careful as it will splash.
- Use a spatula and mix well.
- Cook for a minute.
- Remove from heat and let the caramel cool.
To make the cake
- Pre heat the oven to 160 degrees C.
- Grease and line 2, 8 x 2 inch pans. ( You can use a single taller pan, but the baking time will vary )
- Mix all purpose flour, coffee powder, baking powder, cinnamon powder, clove powder, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk butter and sugar in the bowl of your electric beater till light and fluffy. (Approx 5 minutes on high speed)
- Add egg, one at a time and mix well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the caramel and mix well.
- Add the dry mixture gradually and mix till combine.
- Fold in the soaked fruits and mix.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pans.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes till a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in the pan.
- Remove from the pan.
- Poke holes in the cakes and drizzle a tsp of rum on each cake.
- Store in an airtight container.
- This cake is best eaten after 2-3 days of baking.
- cakes bakesX Mas Spcl: Fresh Cherry & Rum Cake
- cakes bakesChristmas 2019: Best Cake Recipes To Try This Festive Season!
- cakes bakesGinger Bread Loaf Cake Recipe
- baked grilled snacksParmesan Garlic Knots Recipe
- riceChana Biryani Recipe For A Healthy Heart
- chickenWeekend Special: Herb Grilled Chicken Pizza
- maincourseSavoury Bread Pudding Recipe