Stroke your hair 100 times a day, don't touch your face, rub turmeric to remove tan - handed down tips from our mothers that we took for granted along the way, but probably what set the tone for the beauty that we are today!
Searching through the same grandma/mother treasure trove we found out timeless face masks that come from the one humble ingredient - red lentils, also known as masoor dal.
This nutty and earthy flavoured lentil has high nutritional value, is packed with essential vitamins, proteins and minerals that can literally transform your skin.
Also Read: Homemade Moisturisers For Dry Skin
That's right! From removing tan to instantly brightening your skin and tightening pores to reducing fine lines, there is much that this grain can do.
Who would have thought that masoor dal can whip up more than delicious sambhars and dals? Here are 5 timeless masoor dal face masks that will address all your skin problems.
This mask sloughs of dead skin cells, revealing a smoother and lighter skin underneath.
- Soak 1 tablespoon of masoor dal in water overnight.
- Grind it into a fine paste in the morning.
- Mix a tablespoon of milk to the paste.
- Apply a thin coat on the clean face.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it clean and pat dry.
This mask will work to curb the dryness of your skin and give you a radiant skin.
- Mix 1 tablespoon honey with an equal quantity of masoor dal powder.
- Whip to get a smooth consistency.
- Apply the mask liberally over your face and neck.
- Let it sit until dry.
- Once you feel your skin stretch, rinse it with cold water. Pat dry.
This mask is effective in removing and preventing unwanted facial hair.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of masoor dal with an equal quantity of rice powder.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of honey and a few drops of almond oil.
- Apply a thin coat of the mask on a slightly moist face.
- Let the mask sit until dry.
- When you feel your skin stretch, spritz your face with water.
- Once the pack starts to loosen, scrub it in a circular motion.
- Rinse and pat dry.
This face pack has proven to be quite effective in soothing inflamed skin and lightening blemishes.
- In 1 tablespoon of masoor dal paste, add 1 teaspoon of orange peel powder and 2 teaspoons of cucumber juice.
- Whip all the ingredients into a smooth paste.
- Apply it liberally on your face with a brush.
- Let it sit for 25 minutes.
- Rinse your face with cold water and pat dry.
Dull Skin Mask
This mask will add moisture and the much-needed glow to your dull skin.
- Soak 100 gm of masoor dal in cold raw milk overnight.
- Grind it into a coarse paste.
- Apply the paste on your face and neck.
- Let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once dry, rinse your face clean and pat dry.