In this world of constant movement, accidents often happen and surgery has become a norm. It takes weeks to recover from these surgeries.
Our body undergoes a lot through these times. Along with the part of the body on which the surgery is performed, one common organ that goes through the most is our skin.
Our skin takes time to heal from the surgery. Sometimes, the surgery scar does not heal properly and may form a thick bump with tissues growing out of the healing area. These outgrown fibrous tissues are called Keloids.
Keloids are firm, rubbery and smooth to touch. Although they are painless, some keloids may give a slight pain when touched. They are usually made up of a fibre called collagen.
They form when the collagen outgrows in the area of the wound. Although keloids are common on the area of the injury, they are known to form on areas with itchiness, acne and even piercing.
Some accounts mention that keloids may be formed due to an allergy from certain metals such as gold or platinum.
Keloids, when formed on the area which is not easily visible, may not be a cause of worry. But keloids in places such as the earlobes or face are extremely unsightly and you may be looking for ways to get rid of them.
There are a lot of treatments available in the market to get rid of keloids such as cryotherapy, injecting it with medicines, radiation or surgery to remove it. But all these are expensive and not proven to be effective. Hence, natural remedies can be the ultimate answer.
Below are some remedies to remove keloids naturally by using ingredients which are easily available at home. They are completely safe and are proven to be highly effective. Take a look.
Aloe vera can effectively remove keloids, more so if they are fresh. Mentioned below is a simple remedy using fresh aloe vera gel to remove keloids.
- Freshly cut aloe vera leaf
- 1 capsule of vitamin E
- 1 teaspoon of cocoa butter
1) Mix all of the above-mentioned ingredients.
2) Apply on the affected area and leave on for some time.
3) Try this two times in a day regularly.
A powerful antioxidant called quercetin reduces the production of collagen, thereby decreasing the appearance of a keloid.
- 1 onion
1) Cut the onion and extract its juice.
2) Apply this freshly squeezed juice onto the affected area.
3) Repeat it several times in a day for 10-25 days to see noticeable results.
The vitamin C content in lemons will help lighten the scar, making it less noticeable, also repairing the tissues from inside.
- 1 lemon
1) Squeeze the juice of the lemon and rub it onto the affected area twice in a day.
Aspirin has anti-inflammatory properties that help in healing of the keloid.
- 2 aspirin tablets
- Some water
1) Crush the tablets.
2) Mix them in water to make a smooth paste.
3) Apply onto the affected area once in a day, every day.
Baking soda being abrasive helps exfoliate and soothe the skin.
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide
1) Mix the baking soda and the hydrogen peroxide in a bowl.
2) Apply this onto the affected area with a clean cloth.
3) Repeat it two times in a day for maximum effects.
Tea Tree Oil:
Tea tree oil is known to inhibit the growth of keloids and reduce itching.
- 4-5 drops of tea tree oil
- Vitamin E capsule
1) Cut open the vitamin E capsule.
2) Mix it along with the tea-tree oil and apply this to the keloid.
3) Use this remedy regularly until you see a decrease in the swelling.
Garlic reduces the excess production of fibre on the scar which causes the development of keloids. Its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties also help the scar to heal properly.
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
1) Cut the cloves of garlic and directly rub it onto the affected area.
2) Repeat this 2 times in a day for effective and fast results.
Extra virgin coconut oil, when combined with lavender oil, is known to effectively help the body get rid of keloids.
- 5 teaspoons of extra-virgin coconut oil
- 3 teaspoons of lavender oil
1) Mix both the above ingredients in a bowl.
2) Gently massage this mixture onto the keloid and leave it on for 15 minutes.
3) Store the excess mixture in a cool and dark place. Repeat this treatment daily.
Also known as multani mitti in India, it reduces inflammation on the skin and increases the blood circulation, thereby reducing the appearance of the keloid.
- 1 tablespoon of Fuller's earth
- 1 teaspoon of rose water
1) Mix the Fuller's earth with the rose water to make a paste.
2) Apply it onto the keloid and gently massage.
3) Leave it on to dry for 10 minutes.
4) Rinse. Repeat it at least once a day regularly.
Keloids are usually dry and rough. Keeping them moisturized may help in reducing their appearance. Regular application of petroleum jelly on the keloid will trap the moisture in and keep it hydrated.