A marriage is a commitment and every life long relationship has some unwritten rules. While the rules of other relationships are understood, the rules of marriage are supposed to be spelled out so that there is no room for doubts. There are many stages of marriage, the first year being the most romantic. When your relationship is fresh, like unformed clay, you can give it any shape you want. Always set the rules in this first stage of marriage.
The Sacred Rules Of Marriage:
1. You will be home no matter how late it gets. Most guys are used to spending nights outside their homes. Be it their friend's place or a long night drive, they enjoy night time stomping around. You need to make it clear to him that it has to stop now.
2. You will not turn up home dead drunk. It is one think to catch up with friends over a drink and quite another to come home swaying drunk. The sanctity of your home is your hands and your marriage should hold enough respect for him not turn up drunk at the door step.
3. Your friends are welcome but not always. In our bachelor life, we are used to friends dropping in at anytime of the day or night. The same does not apply to a married life. Your friends should now come with prior intimation and not come when you are not home as your spouse might be uncomfortable.
4. These are your chores and those are mine. In modern families where both husband and wife work, they have to share the household chores. You may be overwhelmed with love and do all this cleaning for the first few months, but later it will frustrate you. If he gets to used not helping with teh work at home in teh early stages of your marriage, then he wil never get used to his marriage rule. You will be doing all the work and cribbing about it forever.
5. Clean up your own mess. We all live with the mess we make but, it is not possible to live with someone else's mess. You are consenting adults who need to realise that you do not leave the house dirty for the other person.
6. How much are we each spending? Money is the last thing on your mind when you are newly married. But, it is also true that a large number of marriage troubles are caused due to monetary issues. Who spends what has to be decided in advance. If you are a homemaker then ask your spouse to give you pocket money.
Set these and other marriage rules at the beginning of your marriage so that the rest of your married life becomes smoother. Are there any other rules that you would like to set?