You may have had one or more chemical pregnancies without being aware of it! That is the main symptom of a chemical pregnancy; it is so elusive that you don't even realise that you are pregnant and before you get to detect it, it is already gone. If detected they lead of disappointment and if it has been happening repeatedly then depression from loss of hope.
It would be fair to say that chemical pregnancies are a product of the new age because ten years back you would not even be able to detect it. So as far as you were concerned, it was not a pregnancy at all.
What Is A Chemical Pregnancy?
- Basically, the zygote is formed in the uterus but it fails to grow into a foetus. To put it in simple words, you have had an very early miscarriage even before you missed your period. You may get to feel the symptoms of a chemical pregnancy superficially but reject it when you start passing monthly blood.
- A false positive pregnancy test happens because the highly sensitive strip tests these days detect even the slightest vestiges of the hCG pregnancy hormone. But before the heart beat of the baby can be caught on the ultra sound scan, the pregnancy gets terminated.
- The symptoms of a chemical pregnancy are just the same as normal pregnancy or in some cases there might not be any symptoms. Nausea, fatigue, mood swings will indicate hormonal turbulence due to pregnancy.
- If you had not got a false positive test for pregnancy then you would think that your have had your periods on time. If you are planning a pregnancy you will be watchful and come to know.
- This condition is very common because the statistics say that at least half of first pregnancy end up being chemical pregnancies. You can miss it if it happens by accident
Why Does A Chemical Pregnancy Occur?
- Defective Zygote: It happens mainly due to inherent defects with the fertilized egg that stops it from growing. These defects are most commonly chromosomal ones. There might be some vital genes missing so it is process of natural selection in one way.
- Womb Defects: Defect with the mothers womb can also lead to such pregnancies. If you have a weak womb or implantation problems that is congenital and often hereditary then chemical pregnancies may occur repeatedly.
- Infections: Infections are another main cause of the termination of such pregnancies. Urinary tract infections, sexually transmitted infections, etc are very dangerous for the baby so make sure you treat them and then try to conceive. The foetus is reluctant to grow in any kind of infected medium.
- Low Hormone Levels: Low levels of hormones (mainly) progesterone can be dealt with by having hormone supplements because without hormones your pregnancy will not sustain.
It is possible to conceive successfully after a chemical pregnancy, so do not be disheartened.