What basically are romantic novels? The blazing romances that teenagers read or something that you need to cross 60 to understand completely. Actually the answer is that the best love stories are those that appeal to all age groups and times equally. The mark of a classic romantic writer is to engage generations in his story in such a way that the characters become prototypes to quote whenever love stories are discussed.
Here is our pick of the most romantic novels that you must read no matter what age group you are and what part of the world you belong to.
Top 5 Romantic Books Of All Time:
1. Gone With The Wind: This historic love story by Margaret Mitchell is and will be the novel that defines the history of a nation. Set in the backdrop of the civil war ridden South states of America, is the story of the vivacious Scarlet O'Hara and the men in her life. It is a passionate, tumultuous and sometimes violent tale of love and envy. No one can ever forget the image of Scarlet sitting under a tree with 17 young suitors around her just on the eve of the war that will destroy her life.
2. Pride And Prejudice: 'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.' This line has become immortal in the memories of all those who have read this great love novel from one of the best romantic writers. It is humorous, touching and romantic; all in a restrained way typical of Jane Austen. There are many romantic couples in the novel but none as unusual and engaging as the lead, Darcy and Liz Bennet.
3. Jane Eyre: Dark and mysterious is love if you ask Charlotte Bronte. She created one of the best love stories of all times with a style typical of the Bronte sisters, sinister. Love between people of different social stations and love that surpasses the boundaries of physical beauty because Mr Rochester is described as ugly and Jane Eyre plain.
4. Love Story: Not just any love story but the best love story of all. The famous romantic book written by Erich Segal a copy of which you will see on almost every book shelf. Such is the popularity of this love novel that having it on you is considered good luck.
5. The Notebook: The novel that shot Nicholas Sparks to fame and into Hollywood. After this epic romance many of his novels have been produced as films. It is again set in the destructively romantic backdrop of the second World War. How the dreams of an unusual young man help him find his lady love. In one word 'unforgettable'.
These were the 5 most romantic books that you simply must read.