Top 5 Most Expensive Food In The World
1. 'Almas' Beluga Caviar: 'Almas' is a Russian word for 'diamonds'. This is probably one of the most coveted world delicacies. Caviar and champagne is a mark of high life; that we know and have probably read in numerous novels. But did you know what caviar actually is. It is nothing but salted eggs; unfertilized fish eggs! Beluga caviar which is the most expensive variety of caviar is derived from the fish called Sturgeon roe which lives in the Caspian sea. The older the fish, the lighter the color of the caviar, more exclusive the taste and of course higher the price!
Price: 25000 dollars for a 1 Kg
2. Saffron: This is the most expensive food in a world a spice. Believable. Spices have always been expensive but this one just takes the cake. It is extracted from the dried stigma of of the saffron crocus flower (purple color) and you need about 1 to 2 lac flowers to make just a pound of saffron. Whats more the flowers have to be hand picked in autumn or else the fragrance is destroyed. Imagine the cost of labor. The aroma of this expensive food is so exquisite that you need using only a pinch. Thank god for that!
Price: Roughly 5000$ per pound
3. Bird nest soup: The next expensive food on our list is a made of bird spit. Yes, swallows use their saliva as an adhesive to make their nests. The cost of labor and availability are a big factor for these nests because they are difficult to collect. But if you are in China you can make a fortune from them as they are inordinately popular for their medicinal properties!
Price: 100$ per bowl
4. Mushrooms: Not the ones that grow in your back yard from filth. We are talking about White Truffle Mushrooms which are an extremely rare variety growing somewhere in Italy. Only a gourmet chef of the highest order will dare to cook with these sinfully expensive mushrooms. This is because they are available only in October for a very short period of time
Price: 2000$ for a pound
5. The World's most expensive dessert: As we are supposed to end on a sweet note, the $1000 Sundae served in Serendipity 3 in down town Manhattan is the most expensive sweet dish in the world. It comprises of 5 scoops of rich vanilla beans, one edible gold leaf and lots of money spent!
Price: As the name indicates 1000$ per serve.
These were some of the world's most expensive food for devoted food connoisseurs.