If your back is weak then it affects your entire body movement. It isn't just this it also impacts your day-to-day activities. So if you are looking at making your back strong then the best option would be to take up yoga.
Of all the yoga asanas, there is this dwi pada viparita dandasana which is known to strengthen the back. Though this asana might be a little difficult for a beginner as it requires a lot of flexibility and balancing with continuous practise it becomes easier.
Also Read: Yoga For Strong Legs
Earlier it was only from the elder people we used to hear that they are suffering from back pain, but over the years the problem is increasing among the young adults as well as the teenagers too.
So what is the major cause for this growing weakness in the back? Sedentary lifestyle, working continuously in a sitting posture and lack of physical exercise are a few of the major causes for a weak back and this gives rise to pain.
Also Read: Yoga For Strong Arms
Medicines and other supplements are there to strengthen the back but if you are looking at a long term solution then yoga is the best option.
Have a look at this step-wise procedure to perform Dwi Pada Viparita Dandasana .
Step-by-step Procedure To Perform Dwi Pada Viparita Dandasana :
1. From the standing position slowly lie down straight on the floor.
2. Move your legs little wider than your hips.
3. Slowly move your arms backwards and the palms should be placed on the floor.
4. As you press your palms on the floor slowly raise your hips off the floor.
5. Slightly bend your elbows and the crown of your head should be down towards the floor and held between the hands.
6. Slowly bring your forearm as well as the arms to rest on the floor.
7. Press the heels against the floor and slowly lift your head up from the floor.
8. Try to extend your legs as much as possible so that it gives a good stretch to your back.
9. Once your head is in position, the shoulder should be rolled back.
10 Slowly come out of the position.
Other Benefits of Dwi Pada Viparita Dandasana:
It helps in strengthening the muscles.
It helps in strengthening the thighs.
It helps in strengthening the calves.
It helps in toning the pelvic region.
It helps to improve concentration.
It helps to relieve stress.
It helps to stretch the arms and legs.
Dwi Pada Viparita Dandasana is one of the best asanas for strengthening the back, but one should be cautious while performing this asana. Those suffering from back pain, and back, wrist and shoulder injuries should avoid this asana.