· Sleeplessness being merely the symptom of a disease can be caused due to several problems like fatigue, medication, excessive caffeine intake, stress or sleep disorders.
· It is not marked by how much you sleep but how much sleep you need to freshen up. One person might do with 2-3 hours of sleep per day while someone else might be requiring at least 8-9 hours of sleep per day. It varies among individuals.
· Duration of such sleeping disorders is also important. Those lasting for less than one week are classified as transient insomnia, lasting for 2-3 weeks as short-term insomnia and those lasting for longer than three weeks is known as chronic insomnia.
· Persistent sleep disorders can lead to a number of mental health problems.Lack of sleep triggers bipolar disorder or manic depression which means mood swings of the patient between very good or bad mood.
· Insomnia and Paranoia can also be linked together. Paranoia is an irrational thought process or mental disorder often to the point of illusion. Insomnia or sleeplessness causes paranoid thoughts in an individual thus paving the way for insanity.
· Impaired memory and lack of concentration are also then resultants of inadequate sleep.
· Insomnia even effects the motor coordination of a human beings. Lack of hand eye coordination is also quite commonly to be seen in people with mental problems.
· The effects of sleeplessness are not restricted to adults only but even children are victims of it. Children with less amount of sleep are more often diagnosed with behavioral problems like restlessness, hyperactivity and impulsiveness.
· The key to the cure of insomnia lies in an adequate amount of sleep. Sleep for as long as you need to feel refreshed. Do not force yourself to sleep; sleep when you are comfortable. Decorate your bedroom according to your mood and also tune the lights properly for a good sleep.
· Avoid caffeine beverages as much as possible during the day and do not smoke as these elements reduce sleep.
· Exercise on a regular basis and do not try to skip meals at any time of the day.
· Meditation helps in the relaxation of body and mind thus making us stress free which is a prerequisite element necessary for a sound sleep.
· You can also go for consultation with a doctor and proper medication if none of these theories seem to work with you.
Thus we see that how sleep can adversely affect mental peace and health of an individual. A good night’s sleep is very essential for a healthy body and mind and you should try getting it at any cost.