Sweet samosa is a Holi recipe that uses the skeleton structure of the samosa recipe but improvises by changing the filling to a sweet one. Some variations of this Holi recipe also advise you to soak the fried samosas in a sugar syrup (ras) for a couple of hours so that it gets a juicy taste.
Ingredients For Making Sweet Samosas:
1. Khoya or sweet thicken milk 2 cups
2. Jaggery 1 cup
3. Flour 2 cups
4. Sugar 1 ½ cup (finely ground)
5. Boiling water 4 cups
6. Saffron 1 pinch
7. Seeds of green cardamon 1 pinch
8. White oil (half as pan) for deep frying
Procedure For Making Sweet Samosa:
- Boil milk with jaggery in a deep pan until the jaggery melts and mixes uniformly with the milk to form khoya. You can also buy it ready made. Add a pinch of saffron and mix before removing from flame.
- In another deep vessel boil water and when it stars boiling add 1 cup of sugar and cardamon seeds to it. Keep boiling this until it reduces to half the amount you started with and also gets sticky. This is your sugar syrup or ras.
- Knead a dough with the flour by adding 2 tablespoons of sugar to it. Roll it out into triangles and add spoonfuls of khoya as filling to each.
- Fold all the three sides of the samosa batter and pinch it with your fingers to seal.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and when it starts steaming, release the samosas in it. Keep pressing the samosa down as it fries on medium flame.
- When it turns golden brown strain it and soak in the sugar syrup for half an hour.
Sweet samosas are the best way to welcome Holi and pamper your sweet tooth.