Sausage soup is a typical though easy Italian recipe. While we are used to having sausage with bread or inside hot dogs, its use in soups is a mama mia innovation. Not only does it make a healthy soup recipe but also a very simple one. All you have to basically do to make sausage soup is brown the sausages, boil the vegetables and add the spices. You simmer this on low flame and this easy Italian recipe is ready to eat.
To try this healthy soup recipe, you need not have all the special Italian ingredients. Although it is an authentic Italian soup recipe, it uses mostly common ingredients. The few that are exotic, you can easily find close enough replacements for them. This flexibility makes this Italian recipe easy. It makes an excellent and easy choice of appetizer for your table that is serving an Italian spread.
Ingredients For Sausage Soup:
1. Chicken sausages 250 grams
2. Chicken stock 2 bowls (about 300 grams)
3. Stewed tomatoes, you can use pickles tomatoes also, 4-5 (typical Italian style tomatoes canned)
4. Garlic 5-6 (minced)
5. Carrots 2 (cubed)
6. Zucchini or courgette, a type of squash 1 (cubed)
7. Spinach 1 bunch (washed and leaves separated)
8. Italian beans, use normal string beans in stead 15 (chopped)
9. Ground pepper 1 tablespoon
10. Butter 1 teaspoon
11. Salt as per taste
Procedure For Making Sausage Soup:
- Melt butter in a deep pot and shallow fry the sausages with the minced garlic in it. You have to do this on low flame so that the garlic doesn't burn.
- When the sausages turn brownish, add the chicken stock and the chopped carrots and processed tomatoes with it. Spice up the soup with ground pepper powder and of course some salt.
- You either buy canned chicken stock or brew it at home by boiling chicken and saving the left over water.
- Cover the pot and let the soup get streamed for 15 minutes on minimum flame. Then add the the beans and the zucchini or plain squash to it.
- By now the stock would have reduced so you can add 3-4 cups of water to the brewing liquid. Cover and cook for another 15 minutes on low flame.
- Now you need to remove the pot from flame and add the spinach leaves. Spinach leaves cook fast so just cover the pot and give it 5 minutes standing time for the it to soften.
You can serve sausage soup with Italian garlic bread loaves as an easy appetizer.