Crispy spinach can be eaten as an appetizer or used as a vegetarian Chinese recipe to make a side dish. Either ways, you need little cooking time to make sauteed spinach. Inspite of being deep fried this easy spinach recipe retains some goodness of the spinach in it. Flavoured with Chinese spices this vegetarian Chinese recipe can give all the hard core non vegetarians a run for their money.
Ingredients For Crispy Spinach:
1. Spinach 500 grams (3 bunches)
2. Fresh red chillies 5-6 (chopped)
3. Sesame seeds 2 tablespoons
4. Ground pepper 1 teaspoon
5. Corn Flour 3 tablespoons
6. Sugar 1 teaspoon
7. Salt as per taste
8. Oil (for deep frying) half pan
Procedure For Making Crispy Spinach:
- Wash the spinach leaves thoroughly in water. Pat dry them and remove the stems.
- Now shred the spinach leaves thinly. All you have to do it chop it real close and do it fast, multiple times at the same place.
- Now heat oil in a pan for deep frying the spinach. Let the oil steam.
- Sprinkle salt on the spinach leaves and then throw corn flour on to the spinach generously.
- Deep fry the spinach until it starts looking crisp. Mind you, it should not lose its green colour.
- Strain out the fried spinach and wrap it in tissues to soak the oil.
- Meanwhile heat about 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and saute the red chillies in it. Transfer the spinach to the pan and season it with pepper.
- Add the sesame seeds and let it coat the spinach partially. Add granular sugar in the end for a flavour of half burnt sugar.
You can throw in some corn into your crispy spinach dish.