Eggnog as a recipe is neither simple nor complex. You use just about 6 to 7 ingredients for this easy Christmas recipe. But as a Christmas cocktail, homemade eggnog has an elaborate recipe. The recipe for eggnog is non vegetarian; as the name suggest it uses eggs in abundance. There is also a considerable amount of alcohol in eggnog though you can make it virgin. The traditional recipe for homemade eggnog makes use of alcohol. This easy Christmas recipe for cocktail can also be served as dessert as it is sweet and creamy.
To try this eggnog recipe for a party, begin at least a good 6 hours before your guests arrive because the recipe is completed in 2 steps; one before and one after refrigeration.
Ingredients For Eggnog Recipe:
1. Eggs 12 (yolks separated from whites)
2. Milk 6 cups (milk is always half the number of eggs)
3. Fresh thick cream 2 cups
4. Sugar 2 cups
5. Bourbon whiskey 2 cups
6. Brandy ' cup
7. Nutmeg powder 2 tablespoons
Procedure For Eggnog Recipe:
- Beat the egg yolks with sugar until it becomes a smooth mixture of yellow brown colour. You need an electronic blender for this preferably.
- Gradually stir in the bourbon and brandy into it. Pour just a tablespoon full at a time so that it doesn't make the mixture sour.
- Refrigerate the alcohol laced yolk mixture for 4-5 hours.
- Remove it just half hour before serving and gradually stir in the milk into it. Season it with ¾ of the nutmeg powder mentioned here.
- Beat the egg whites and cream in separate bowls at high speed to make them both frothy.
- First pour the egg whites mixture into the yolk mixture you prepared before and whisk for 2 minutes. Add the frothed cream to this as a topping. Garnish the drink with the left over nutmeg powder and crusted sugar.
Serve homemade eggnog as a welcome drink or a dessert drink.