Not all Chinese recipes taste the same. Just like India, every part of China has its own set of recipes to offer. The prawn curry we are talking about is a Chinese recipe from the Manchuria district. It is called Manchurian prawns. The specialty of Manchurian prawns is that the prawns are first fried in batter and then cooked in sauce.
Manchurian prawns look very similar to chilli prawns because of the brown colour. Manchurian sauce is also soy based and uses a lot of garlic. Prawn Manchurian can be either made dry to have as starters or cooked as a prawn curry to have with rice. It does not take too long to prepare this Chinese recipe. If you have all the prescribed Chinese spices, then you can make Manchurian prawns in a jiffy.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- Prawns- 500 grams (shelled and de-veined)
- Corn flour- 2tbsp
- Egg whites- 2
- Green chillies- 2+4 (chopped)
- Onion- 1 (chopped)
- Garlic- 8 cloves (chopped)
- Tomato ketchup- 1tbsp
- Red chilli sauce- 1tbsp
- Soy sauce- 1tbsp
- Vinegar- 1tbsp
- Onion greens- 2 stalks (chopped)
- Oil- 4tbsp (for deep frying)
- Salt- as per taste
1. Clean the prawns properly and pat them dry.
2. Now take corn flour, 2 chopped green chillies, egg whites, salt and 1tbsp warm water in a bowl. Beat it to form a batter.
3. Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. When it is searing hot, dip the prawns in batter and fry them for 3-4 minutes on high flame.
4. Strain the fried prawns and keep them aside.
5. Now heat 1tbsp oil in a deep bottomed pan. Season it with green chillies and saute the onions in it for 4-6 minutes on low flame.
6. Add the garlic and onion greens. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
7. Now push the spices to one side and oil to the other. Add the sauces (tomato, chilli and soy) into this oil.
8. When the the sauces bubble, mix it up with the spices. Add vinegar and cook on a low flame for 3-4 minutes.
9. Add a cup of water and bring the gravy to boil. Now add the fried prawns and cook on a medium flame for another 6-7 minutes.
10. If the gravy is too watery, add a teaspoon of corn flour to make it dense.
Serve Manchurian prawns with fried rice or Chinese noodles.