A main course platter is incomplete without rice. There are many rice recipes that can be served during the meal. Be it plain boiled rice or a pulao, the whole grain can be used to prepare many delicacies. Vegetable pulao, shahi pulao, peas pulao are few common rice items that are prepared for the main course. Have you tried kabuli pulao? Also known as Qabili Palau , this is a famous Central Asian rice dish from Afghan cuisine. The steamed rice is mixed with lentils, raisins, carrots, cabbage and meat (chicken, lamb or beef). Vegetarians only use raisins, cashew nuts and carrots to prepare kabuli pulao.
If you want to prepare a rice item for the main course, you can try kabuli pulao. The recipe is very simple. Check out...
Kabuli pulao, rice recipe:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30-45 minutes
- Basmati rice- 2 cups (boiled)
- Mutton broth- 2-3 cups
- Onions- 2 (chopped)
- Lamb meat- 2 lbs (cut into pieces)
- Carrots- 2 (diced)
- Golden raisins- ½ cup
- Cashew nuts- 8-10 pieces (halved)
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Cinnamon- 2
- Black pepper- ½ tsp
- Butter- 1tsp
- Oil- 4tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Melt butter in a frying pan. Saute the carrot, cashew nuts and raisins for a minute and then keep aside.
- Now add 2tbsp oil in the same frying pan and then saute the onions till they become translucent. Add rice and mutton broth after the onions cook. Stir and cook till it becomes tender.
- In another pan, heat 1tbsp oil. Fry all the whole spices and then add the lamb pieces. Add salt as per taste and cook on a medium flame for 5-6 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a baking dish. Now place the lamb pieces and then spread the half cooked rice over it. Now sprinkle with carrots, raisins and cashew nuts. Bake for around 20 minutes.
Take out the kabuli pulao from the oven and serve it hot.