Chicken pulao is something that almost every non vegetarian finds delicious. And if chicken pulao is made using a scintillating Andhra recipe, then it surely sounds promising. This pulao recipe tells you how to prepare chicken pulao in the Telugu style. Most Andhra recipes have a fair amount of spices in them. This chicken pulao too is a very spicy one.
However, coconut milk is used in this pulao recipe that has a
sweetening effect on the dish. Also, this Andhra recipe is for
making chicken pulao and not biryani. We tend to think that any
recipe that has rice and chicken is a biryani. But it is not so;
biryani is cooked in layers. Chicken pulao on the other hand is
rice cooked with chicken and spices in a cooker.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Cinnamon stick- 1 inch
- Cloves- 5
- Green cardamom- 2
- Star anise- 1
- Curry leaves- 10
- Onions- 2 (chopped)
- Ginger- 1 inch
- Garlic pods- 6
- Green chillies- 4
- Chicken- 300 grams (medium sized pieces)
- Red chilli powder- 1tbsp
- Turmeric- 1tsp
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- Lemon juice- 1tbsp
- Coconut milk- 1/2 cup
- Basmati rice- 2 cups (soaked and washed)
- Oil- 2tbsp
- Ghee- 1tbsp
- Salt- as per taste
1. Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Season it with cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and star anise.
2. Then add curry leaves for flavour and saute the onions in it. Cook the onions for at least 4-5 minutes on low flame until they brown.
3. Meanwhile grind green chillies, ginger and garlic in a blender to form a thick paste.
4. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and fry them for 3-4 minutes until they turn golden brown.
5. Then add the paste you just made and mix well. Cover and cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
6. Then add red chilli powder and turmeric to the simmering chicken. Also pour a spoonful of lemon juice into it. Cook for 2- 3 minutes.
7. Add the rice to the pan along with coconut milk and salt. Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
8. Now pour 2 and a half cups of water into the pan. Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes on low flame.
Serve Andhra style chicken pulao with raita or just plain curd. You can garnish it with mint leaves and parsley.