Handi caramelized yogurt is a fusion version of mishti doi. Festive season is around the corner and we have already been trying and tasting the modern sweets; but this time, let's try something new and Indian.
Mishti doi is basically nothing but fermented sweet yogurt. It is commonly eaten in the states of Odisha and West Bengal. It is prepared from milk and jaggery, which is completely healthy.
Recipe By: Chef Tara Chandra Joshi
Recipe Type: Dessert
Plain whole-fat yogurt - 1 cup
(homemade or manufactured with milk only; do not use yogurt with stabilizers or Greek yogurt, which is already drained)
Sugar - ½ a cup
Pinch of salt
Ground cardamom for garnish (optional)
Cinnamon for garnish (optional)
Grated lemon zest for garnish (optional)
1. At first, we need plain whole-fat yogurt as recommended.
2. Place yogurt in a fine-meshed strainer or a cheese cloth.
3. Place the strainer over a bowl and drain for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
4. Take a bowl and reserve all the strained liquid in a bowl: this is whey.
5. There should be about 2 cups of firm drained yogurt. If necessary, return enough whey to the yogurt to make 2 cups of it.
6. Take a medium-sized saucepan, place sugar, salt and 1 cup of whey in the pan.
7. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently; adjust the heat as needed, so that the mixture does not boil over.
8. Cook until the liquid boils off and the remaining syrup becomes deep brown, for 20 to 30 minutes, and after that remove from heat.
9. Add 2 tablespoons of whey to the pot and stir it completely to blend well.
10. If the mixture is too thick to stir, add another tablespoon of whey in it.
11. Allow the caramel to cool slightly, stirring frequently to make sure it remains fluid like in consistency.
12. If caramel stiffens too much to stir, place it over a pot of hot water and stir it until it is fluid like again.
13. Add 1/4th cup of yogurt to the pot and stir vigorously to blend it well.
14. Add the remaining yogurt and stir to blend it fully.
15. Transfer the mixture to a covered handi and refrigerate it until it gets chilled, at least for 30 minutes.
16. Take a platter and place the dish nicely.
17. Garnish with a sprinkling of cardamom, cinnamon or grated lemon zest.
18. Dish is now ready to be served, serve with love and serve well.
- 1. The mixture should not over boil, hence adjust the heat accordingly.
- Serves - 1 small bowl
- Calories - 152 cal
- Fat - 5 g
- Protein - 4 g
- Carbohydrates - 23 g
- Sugar - 19 g
- Dietary fibre - 0
- Iron - 0
- Vitamin A - 0