Setting a new standard in the realms of Total Knee Replacement surgery, Dr Chandrashekar. P from Sakra World Hospital, Bengaluru has completed more than 1000 knee replacements using small incision computer navigation technology.
He is the first surgeon to use this novel technique to complete 1000 surgeries in Karnataka.
25 year old with rheumatoid arthritis and 87 year old with age related osteoarthritis are the youngest and the oldest patients respectively, to undergo the knee replacement surgery using the navigational technique.
"Minimal invasive computer navigated knee replacement surgery allows the surgeon to make more accurate cuts and to place the artificial knee with its critical angles much more accurately and virtually eliminates alignment errors. There is no much blood loss and there is less scar unlike our conventional replacement surgery. The entire surgical process can be followed on the screen," said Dr. Chandrashekar. P, Sr. Consultant & HOD - Orthopedics, Sakra World Hospital, Bangalore.
According to the doctor, the navigational surgery is safer than conventional technique, especially in patients with high blood pressure and diabetes mellitus.
This unique knee replacement surgery is more secure for patients who have undergone angioplasty or cardiac bypass surgeries and also in patients who had pacemaker surgery for heart.
How The System Works?
- The navigation works like a satellite navigation system in your car or a GPS system used by a mountaineer.
- During a surgery, trackers attached to the patient send a signal. The camera catches this signal and the position is then identified on the patient specific anatomy map.
- The surgeon has a screen which gives out information they need about where they are and what they are doing.
Benefits Of Minimally Invasive Knee Replacements Through Navigational Surgery:
Normally while placing an implant during a knee replacement surgery, a surgeon has to depend solely on his calculations and skills to ensure the right fitment. Navigation helps the surgeon navigate, allowing them to plan the steps much ahead, thus bringing in accuracy which ensures better alignment and positioning of the implant. This results in minimal complications and reduced blood loss.
- Effective Treatment For Gynecomastia Recommended By An Expert
- The Transformation Of This Boy Will Leave Everyone Surprised!
- Here's How To Cure Breast Lumps Without Surgery
- What Is Hysterectomy? 9 Facts You Need To Know
- Follow These To Get Quick Relief After Surgery
- What You Need To Know About Vasectomy