- 40 min ago Love The Idea Of Hand-Painted Apricot Tulips On Your Suit? Malavika Mohanan Has An Outfit Goal For You
- 1 hr ago Your Party And Wedding Hairstyles Sorted Ft. Yashika Aannand; Check Out Her Pretty Looks!
- 2 hrs ago What Is Typhoid Fever? Causes, Symptoms, Risk Factors, Complications, Treatments And Prevention
- 2 hrs ago ‘Tis The Season Of Cute Dresses, Proves Aditi Rao Hydari, Mouni Roy, And Mira Rajput Kapoor
- News Uttarakhand govt presents Rs 57,400 crore budget for 2021-22 in assembly
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Rajasthan In March
- Movies Erica Fernandes Completes 5 Years In TV Industry; Thanks Fans & Says She'll Try Her Level Best To Entertain
- Sports Klopp 'a much better manager' after dealing with Liverpool's injury crisis
- Finance FDI Equity Inflow Increased By 40% During April to December 2020
- Technology Redmi Note 10 Series Qualcomm Snapdragon SoCs Launched In India; Price Starts At Rs. 11,999
- Automobiles New Tata Tiago ‘XTA’ Variant Launched In India: Prices Start At Rs 5.99 Lakh
- Education JEE Main Result 2021 February Session To Release Soon
May Day is a public holiday observed on 1 May every year. The day marks the change of season in some parts of the world and also the day to celebrate worker's rights. The day is, therefore, also known as International Workers Day. So today we are here to discuss the history and significance of this day. Scroll down the article to read more.
History Of May Day
The roots of May Day trace back to the mid 19th century when the industrial workers were supposed to work for 12-15 hours a day. They were deprived of a better working environment. Due to this, in 1886, thousands of industrial workers led a nation-wide strike in the USA and demanded a better working condition comprising 8 hours of working in a day. It was not only in the USA but also in Germany, England and France.
It is said that the communist manifesto written by Karl Marx (a German philosopher, journalist, reformist and economist) had made a great impact on the industrial workers and the organisations dedicated to the same. The manifesto was written in the year 1848 when the industrial workers were facing extreme exploitation.
However, the demands of the workers weren't fulfilled in just a day. In fact, it took some years and the protest witnessed bloodshed as well.
Significance Of May Day
- In the USA, every year 1 May is observed as a public holiday. The same goes for many countries including India.
- In India, May Day was observed in Madras (now Chennai) in the year 1923 under the British Raj.
- It was more like a meeting led by Singaravelar, the leader of the Labour Kisan Party of Hindustan. Under his leadership, two separate meetings were held, one at Triplicane Beach and the other near the Madras High Court.
- These meetings resulted in the declaration of government holiday on 1 May every year.
- On this day, workers in every sector of the country are honoured. Their contribution is acknowledged.