- 1 hr ago Daily Horoscope: 03 December 2020
- 12 hrs ago Nushrat Bharucha Exudes Eco-Friendly And Boss Lady Vibes In Her Green Pantsuit And We Loved It!
- 12 hrs ago Try This Easy-To-Make Raj Kachori Recipe
- 12 hrs ago Gauahar Khan And Zaid Darbar Flaunt Ethnic Outfits As Gauahar Announces Her Wedding Date
- News No outside person allowed to interfere in India's internal issues, says farmer leader
- Movies Bigg Boss 14 December 2 Highlights: Jasmin Is Devastated As Aly Exits House; Kavita Walks Out Leaving Everyone Shocked
- Education Career Point Star Scholarship 2020: Check Registration And Exam Pattern
- Sports India vs Australia: Switch-hit is within laws, part of game's evolution: Maxwell
- Finance Nearly 40 Small And Midcap Stock Ideas To Create Wealth In The Long Term
- Technology Excitel Revises Broadband Plans; Offering High Speed At Rs. 50
- Travel 10 Best Places To Visit In Gujarat In December
- Automobiles Hyundai Kona Electric SUV Recalled In India: Possible Electrical Deficiency In High-Voltage BMS
Ahmedabad, Sep 18 (UNI) Indian-American astronaut Sunita Williams will be conferred with the 'Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Vishwa Pratibha Award' by Vishwa Gujarati Samaj (VGS) on September 21.
Sunita Williams, whose parents belong to a small village Zulasan in Mehsana district, will receive the award from Gujarat Governor Nawal Kishore Sharma at a special function to be held at the Rajpath Club here.
Ms Williams is arriving in Gujarat for a week-long visit on September 20.
The award consists of Rs 250,000 cash, a citation and memento, VGS President Krishnakant Vakharia said here today.
Mr Vakharia said, ''Since the inception of this annual award in year 2001, this is the first instance that it is being conferred to a non-resident of India for excellent service to human kind and society.'' She is also being considered for the 'The Daughter of the Soil' award, he informed.
VGS confers awards to world renowned persons without discrimination of caste, creed, religion or gender, he added.
The VGS President said the Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has been invited to attend the function but the confirmation is yet to be announced by the Gujarat Government.
When asked about the controversy between the ruling BJP Government and the opposition Congress over welcoming the US astronaut, Mr Vakharia refused to comment saying his organisation is non-political and above such things.