- 9 hrs ago Celebrating Pride: Monica Dogra From ALTBalaji's The Married Woman Gives Styling Tips To Ace This Month!
- 9 hrs ago Jupiter Retrograde In 2021: Effects On Different Zodiac Sign
- 9 hrs ago Sherni Promotions: Vidya Balan Surprises Us With Her Unique Tiger-Inspired Saree; Also Wows Us With Jewellery
- 10 hrs ago Hair Tutorial: Hina Khan Has 3 Easy Hairstyle Ideas For Girls With Short Hair
- Movies Super Dancer - Chapter 4 Judge Shilpa Shetty Kundra’s Wish Was Fulfilled When Kumar Sanu Sang Live
- Technology Amazon JBL Days Sale: Discount Offers On Headphones, Speakers, Earphones, And More
- Finance Fed Holds Interest Rates, Sees Faster Time Frame For Rate Hikes
- Automobiles 2021 Range Rover Velar Launched In India At Rs 79.87 Lakh
- Sports Turkey 0-2 Wales: Bale misses penalty but sets up both goals in Group A thriller of Euro 2020
- News Sonia Gandhi took both doses of COVID vaccine, Rahul's jab delayed due to positive result: Congress
- Travel Madhya Pradesh Tourism Collaborates With The Vidya Balan-Starrer Amazon Original Film ‘Sherni’
- Education Study Abroad 2021: Check Out The Countries Reopening For International Students
Air pollution has detrimental effects on our body. Sometimes air pollution occurs inside our house and it is very risky compared to the air pollution outside. This is due to the fact that we spent a considerable amount of time in our house and its premises. Do you know that avoiding a few household items can help you lead a healthy life? Read on to know.
We often have the tendency to store leftover or nearly empty paint cans in the storeroom for reusing it in the future. These cans release VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) gases in the area which would cause problems with air quality and can directly impact our breathing. Try to use low-VOC paints.
There are many cleaning materials which release a big source of VOC in the air. Avoid using scented products inside the home. Make it a habit to clean your house with natural ingredients like water, vinegar or baking soda.
Household items like aerosols contribute to nearly fifty per cent of outdoor VOC emissions in cities. The aerosol products inside your house not only damage the indoor air, but they also contribute to outdoor pollution. Keep away from using aerosol sprays whenever possible to decrease the pollution.
Air fresheners can emit over 100 different chemicals that are harmful to health. Instead of using air fresheners for a pleasant-smelling try to keep your windows open for longer duration and run a fan even if the room is empty.
Try to hand-wash your clothes as much as possible. Give them for dry cleaning only if they are not safe to hand wash. There are certain VOC residues on dry-cleaned clothes which slowly get released into the air.
Scented candles are likely to emit harmful formaldehyde which is very dangerous. Not only this, candles on occasions could be substantial sources of fine particles that contribute to the pollution. Try using beeswax candles to fulfil your needs.
Humidifiers are hazardous if used on a higher percentage. It could directly impact on your ability to breathe. You are in a safe zone by keeping it below 50 per cent humidity. This will not only protect your skin but would also reduce the risk of contamination.
Granite countertops do produce radon which seems to be a naturally occurring radioactive gas. However, studies have revealed that indoor granites are not harmful when it comes to radon gas. The main source of radon gas is the cracks in walls and other areas. Radon Test Kit is easily available in the market which will help to detect whether your house has radon. If the results are positive, then first repair the crack areas in the house instead of replacing the granite.
Manufactured Wood Products
Plywood, particleboard and laminated sheets contain high amounts of formaldehyde which starts emitting gas after about two years post inception. To protect your future from this harmful gas try purchasing only low- or no-formaldehyde products. Always ensure that you are allowing more and more fresh air into your home as much as possible.
Lighting a fire in your house can also muck up your air. Burning wood to make your home cosy and cleaning up the ash later would result in exposing your house to high levels of particulate pollution and carbon monoxide. Better clear up the ash immediately and keep the area clean.
The flame of the gas stove creates nitrogen oxide emissions, and cooking itself produces particles. Always keep the windows of your kitchen open while cooking. An exhaust fan is a must to have in every kitchen. Your kitchen should always ventilate the cooking air outside your home.
Air purifiers usually generate ozone which is very harmful to human health. Avoid using air purifiers for sound health and cleaner air indoors.
Well, it is not possible to avoid these products always. Therefore, always keep your windows open when you are using pollutant-releasing products. This will help protect your lungs and breathe a little easier.