- 4 hrs ago Swimming Pool Safety For Kids: Safety Measures While Swimming To Be Aware Of!
- 4 hrs ago 12 Reasons For Your Dry Skin Despite Using Moisturiser Regularly
- 4 hrs ago How To Ease Endometriosis Pain? Does A Heating Pad Help Ease The Pain?
- 5 hrs ago Is Your Kid Addicted To Sugar? What Are The Signs?
- News Without expecting votes in return, reach out to Muslims: PM Modi to BJP workers
- Sports ISL 2022-23: Bengaluru FC look to continue resurgence for playoffs as they take on rejuvenated Jamshedpur FC
- Finance Retail Stock Gets Sell Recommendation As Underlying Profitability Disappoints: HDFC Securities
- Movies Bina Photoshoot Ke Bhi Festival Mana Liya...: Ankita Lokhande Trolled For Grand Makar Sankranti Celebrations
- Travel 05 Jyotirlinga Yatra By IRCTC For Budget Travellers
- Automobiles Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 Launched In India At Rs 3.49 Lakh – Specifications, Variants & More
- Technology Infinix Zero Ultra Vs Realme 10 Pro Plus: Specs, Display, Features, Compared
- Education MET 2023: Manipal Entrance Test guidelines Released; Check Details Here
Your dental health matters more than you know - it plays a pivotal role in your overall fitness. You might have been neglecting that tooth pain for a while now, but it's about time that you visit a dentist before it metamorphoses into an agonizing angry red bump.
The mouth harbours not only the teeth but also the gums, cheeks, tongue, palate and tonsils. Being the point of entry to an assortment of food, it is subjected to drastic changes in temperature, consistency and texture and hence needs your love and care.
Signs Of Gum Disease:
Gum disease, scientifically also called gingivitis and periodontitis causes the following symptoms:
- Bleeding gums - Gum bleeding after waking up or while brushing.
- Teeth tartar and discoloured teeth - Visible blackish yellow deposits on teeth are also called calculus and stains.
- Receding gums - The tartar build-up tends to push the gums such that the tooth roots are exposed.
- Tooth Sensitivity - Painful sensations with ice cream, cold drinks and hot beverages.
- Food stuck - Food lodgement in between teeth and gums.
- Bad breath - Bad taste and foul odour after waking up caused by bacterial growth in the tartar.
- Tooth abscess - A pus-filled swelling that is recurrent and pains intermittently.
- Loose tooth - Mild shaking of teeth on touching.
Dental Cleaning Benefits:
- Teeth tartar and stains removal
- Bleeding gums treatment with heathier and stronger gums
- Gum recession and Bone loss controlled
- Bad breath remedies
- Tooth pain and sensitivity reduced
In my practice of 15 years, scaling resulting in the weakening of the teeth and gums have been a unanimous query. The answer is a big NO. Dental cleaning does not damage your gums, loosen your teeth or weaken the enamel.
Myths About Scaling And Polishing:
Myth - Can dental cleaning damage teeth?
Fact - No! Scaling using Ultrasonic or hand instruments only removes the tartar and deposits; it does not damage the enamel. The instrument works on a medium vibratory speed and when used by a skilled dentist, is very effective.
Myth - Can tooth cleaning loosen my teeth?
Fact - Yes! But that's because the tooth was already loose due to receding gums and infection. The support from the sticky tartar is gone after cleaning - causing a transient feeling of teeth shaking. It is a vicious cycle - the more you hold onto the tartar; the more is the underlying bone loss.
Myth - Is tooth cleaning expensive?
Fact - No! It is a basic yet skilful procedure, so pricing is at par with the quality of services. Choose the best dentist near you and avail the procedure.
With additional inputs by Dr Pramod K M.
- oral careOral Care: Should You Brush Your Teeth Before Or After Breakfast?
- oral careExpert Article: Dental Tourism, The Way To A Beautiful Smile
- oral careExpert Article: Is Your White Tongue A Matter Of Concern?
- oral careExpert Article: Pericoronitis, An Unfamiliar But Agonizing Dental Issue
- oral careExpert Article: Gaps Between Teeth? Make Flossing And Proxa Brushing A Daily Habit
- oral careExpert Article: What Is Burning Mouth Syndrome? Causes And Symptoms
- oral careExpert Article: Is Protein Powder Affecting Your Gums?
- oral careExpert Article: Say Goodbye To Yellow Teeth With Teeth Whitening
- oral careExpert Article: Teeth Aligners Promise Much More Than A Bollywood Smile!
- oral careExpert Article: What Are Tooth Implants? When And Why You Should Get Them
- oral care8 Best Natural Remedies To Treat Receding Gums
- wellness5 Common Health Issues You Should Not Neglect