Porridge is a healthy breakfast dish that is popular worldwide. Apart from having oatmeal, many dieters have porridge. Why shouldn't they? Porridge is low in fat and calories. It is filling and easy to digest also. So, porridge is a healthy dish for you.
In India, porridge is very popular. In many household, people have porridge either for breakfast or dinner. Porridge is commonly made with broken wheat (dalia), oats, or ragi. Salted porridge is very common. If you are on diet and want to have some low calorie sweet dish, you can try sweet porridge. Sweet porridge is made with oats or broken wheat or ragi and is topped with dry fruits. Check out the recipe.
Sweet porridge recipe:
Preparation time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Dalia/broken wheat- 1 cup
- Sugar- ½ cup
- Ghee- 3tbsp
- Almonds- 8-10 (sliced or chopped)
- Cashews- 4-5 (halved)
- Water- 3 cups
- Heat 2tbsp ghee in a pressure cooker. When the ghee melts, add the dalia. Roast the dalia on a medium flame till it turns little brown. Roasting the dalia enhances its flavour and brings a strong aroma of the wheat.
- Now pour water into the pressure cooker and stir constantly so that the dalia doesn't get lumps. Add sugar and then mix.
- Pressure cook for 2-4 whistles on a medium flame.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining ghee in a frying pan. Roast the dry fruits namely almonds and cashews on a low flame for 1 minute.
Take out sweet porridge from the pressure cooker. Garnish with roasted dry fruits and serve it hot. You can also garnish the sweet porridge with fruits such as apples, strawberries and grapes.