Baldness is a common sign of old age. Your thick mob of hair starts thinning as you enter your 40s, and the rate at which new hair grows becomes slow.
But, in these times, more and more men in their late 20s are starting to experience bald patches. This is called premature baldness and it is a sign of worry. Moreover, premature balding is considered to be very unattractive to the opposite gender.
As you age, the hair follicles start losing the ability to rejuvenate and produce new strands of hair. This is quite normal. But showing balding signs in your late 20s may not be normal at all.
The reason can be increase in the production of testosterone, which is broken down into a hormone called DHT. This hormone prevents the hair follicles from producing new hair.
Though there is lots of treatment and medications available in the market to stop premature hair loss, natural remedies are always the best. They may take time to work but some natural ingredients are known to help in the re-growth of hair. Below are some such remedies which are very effective in treating premature baldness.
Coconut milk is touted to be rich in vitamins and other nutrients which are needed for hair growth. It helps to keep your follicles healthy, thereby preventing hair loss. It also helps re-grow lost hair.
- 1 cup coconut milk/coconut oil
1) Use the coconut milk or oil directly on to the scalp and keep it on for 1 hour.
2) Rinse with shampoo. Follow this remedy thrice a week.
3) You can also include coconut milk/oil in your diet to have maximum effects.
Vinegar contains potassium and other enzymes that help promote hair growth and also prevent dandruff. Dandruff blocks the hair follicles and prevents hair growth. Vinegar eliminates both these problems at the same time.
- 4 teaspoons of vinegar
1) Mix the vinegar with your regular shampoo and keep it on for 15 minutes.
2) Wash off as usual and repeat this twice in a week.
Vitamin E is essential to grow new hair, as it increases blood circulation in the body. This in turn stimulates the hair follicles to produce new hair.
- Vitamin E capsules
1) Cut open the Vitamin E capsules and apply directly onto the scalp.
2) You can also use any hair oil with Vitamin E if the capsules are not available.
Commonly known as amla, it contains high amounts of Vitamin C, which is known to prevent hair loss.
- 1 tablespoon amla pulp
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1) Mix both the ingredients in a bowl.
2) Apply onto the scalp and cover with a shower cap.
3) Wash off after 15 minutes. Repeat it as often in a week as possible.
Beets are extremely healthy vegetables containing calcium, potassium, vitamins B and C and protein. It promotes healthy hair growth and reduces the chances of baldness.
- 1 grated beetroot
- 3 tablespoons of henna
- Water as required
1) Extract the juice from the freshly grated beetroot.
2) Add the henna into this juice and make a paste. If the paste is too thick, add some water.
3) Apply onto the hair and leave it on for 15 minutes. Repeat as often as possible in a week.
Using essential oils like tea tree, rosemary and fenugreek can help prevent premature balding.
Use a few drops of any of the above-mentioned oils onto the scalp. You can also mix them in any other carrier oil like almond or coconut oil and massage onto the scalp.
Smoking is one of the major causes for hair fall. If you are a smoker, then no amount of treatment will help until you quit this vice.
Among other problems, smoking reduces the blood circulation in the scalp and prevents growth of new hair strands.
Increase Your Protein Intake:
Proteins are the building blocks of our hair. If your body does not get enough of protein, it will no longer produce new hair.
Including lean protein like chicken and fish is the best way to treat premature balding. For vegetarians, including legumes, beans and quinoa are a good option.