- 1 hr ago World Menstrual Hygiene Day: What Is Cycle Syncing? How Does It Benefit Your Productivity And PMS Symptoms?
- 5 hrs ago Covid-19 In Babies: Here's What To Expect & What You Should Do
- 5 hrs ago World Menstrual Hygiene Day 2022: What Is Oligomenorrhoea? Causes, Symptoms & Treatments Of Irregular Periods
- 7 hrs ago Meet 42-Year Old Laxmi Jadhav, Mumbai's First Female BEST Bus Driver
- News PM Modi inaugurates Nano Urea Liquid plant in Gandhinagar
- Technology Honor Watch GS 3 With GPS, Bluetooth Calling Listed On Amazon; India Launch Expected Soon
- Movies Latest TRP Ratings: Yeh Hai Chahatein Jumps To 2nd Spot; Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah Returns To Top 10
- Sports GT vs RR IPL 2022 Final Stats & Records Preview: Buttler, Chahal, Ashwin, Hardik eye big milestones on May 29
- Finance LIC Launches New Plan With Several Benefits: Check Key Features
- Automobiles Next-Gen Maruti Suzuki Eeco To Arrive In Festive Season
- Travel Everest Day 2022, Indian Mountaineers Who Climbed Mount Everest
- Education RRB NTPC CBT 2 Level 2, 3, And 5 Exam Schedule Released, Check Exam Dates Here
Hollywood star Will Smith will not be allowed to attend the Oscars for a decade, the Academy's board announced. The latest announcement comes weeks after Smith struck comedian Chris Rock across the face on stage. Rock had made a joke about the appearance of the actor's wife.
What did the Academy say?
The decision to temporarily ban Smith from further events came after a meeting of the Academy's board of governors.
"The 94th Oscars were meant to be a celebration of the many individuals in our community who did incredible work this past year; however, those moments were overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behavior we saw Mr. Smith exhibit on stage,'' the academy said in a statement.
The 10-year ban extends to the Academy Awards, known as the Oscars, as well as any other academy event.
The academy also apologized for its handling of the incident, after Smith was allowed to stay at the ceremony after the slap.
Smith later received the "Best Actor" award for his role in "King Richard."
The academy said it "did not adequately address the situation in the room" but said they were "unprepared for the unprecedented."
How has Smith responded?
Smith resigned as a member of the academy last week in the run-up to Friday's meeting.
He released a short statement after Friday's announcement, saying: "I accept and respect the Academy's decision."
What happened at the Oscars?
During the Oscars on March 27, Smith strode from his front-row seat onto the stage and slapped Chris Rock across the face for making a joke at the expense of Smith's wife, Jada Pinkett Smith.
Rock — who was appearing as a presenter — joked about Jada Pinkett Smith's shaved head, as he referenced the 1997 film "G.I. Jane" in which actress Demi Moore had shaved her head.
Smith's wife has in the past spoken about her alopecia diagnosis — a disease that leads to hair loss.
rs/msh (AP, Reuters)
- womenLegendary Singer-Actress Barbra Streisand At 80: Still Topping The Charts!
- art cultureThe OG Joker: A Look At Oscar Award-Winning Actor Jack Nicholson's Journey
- art cultureOscars 2022 Winners: CODA, Dune, Will Smith, Jessica Chastain, Hans Zimmer Win Top Honours
- womenOscars: Women Directors Write History With Every Win At The Academy Awards
- art cultureOscar Awards: African Cinema, Bollywood Films Remain Unrepresented - Here's A Look At The Reasons
- art cultureBirthday Special: Hollywood Actress Glenn Close's Journey And Why She Deserves An Oscar Award
- art cultureBAFTA Film Awards 2022 Winners List: Jane Campion's Power Of The Dog Bags Best Film, Dune Wins 5 Honours
- art cultureOscar Awards 2022 Nominations: The Power Of The Dog, Dune, West Side Story Lead The List
- art cultureMultiple Grammy And Oscar Award-Winning Composer John Williams Turns 90
- art cultureMarilyn Bergman Tribute: Oscar, Emmy And Grammy Award-Winning Lyricist-Composer Dies At 93
- art cultureOmicron: Have The 2022 Golden Globes, Grammy Awards, Oscars, Berlinale, Cannes Been Postponed?
- art cultureOscar Award-Winning Black Actor And Activist Sidney PoitierPasses Away At 94: Life And Times