- 1 hr ago Daily Horoscope, 06 October 2022: Today's Horoscope Predictions For All Zodiac Signs
- 17 hrs ago Tribute: American Country Music Icon Loretta Lynn No More At 90
- 18 hrs ago Navratri 2022: Goddess Chamunda Shakti Peeth Of Himachal Pradesh
- 20 hrs ago Balaji (Hanuman) of Mehandipur In Rajasthan: Timings, How To Reach, Puja Rituals And Legends
- Sports Legends League Cricket: Full List of Award Winners, Player of the Match, Player of the Tournament
- Finance Prabhudas Lilladher Picks 5 Stocks To Buy Amid Festive Cheer For Gains Up To 20%
- News In Pics: Effigies of Ravana go up in flames as India celebrates Dussehra
- Education JIO ANNOUNCES THE LAUNCH OF JIO TRUE 5G
- Movies Kaun Banega Crorepati 14 Birthday Special: Amitabh Bachchan Gets Emotional As Son Abhishek, Jaya Surprise Him
- Automobiles Mahindra XUV300 Sportz Edition Spotted - Comes With More Power & A Few Visual Tweaks
- Travel Most Interesting Facts About Kullu Dussehra
- Technology Google Pixel 7 vs Pixel 7 Pro: What Differences Can We Expect?
A young woman risks going to prison for seeking an abortion in the 1960s in France. Audrey Diwan's hard-hitting drama film The Happening, about illegal abortion, is the second French film to win a major festival this year since Julia Ducournau received the Palme D'Or at the Cannes Film Festival 2021 for Titane in July. It was chosen from 21 contenders by a jury led by Parasite director Bong Joon-ho. The jury also included Chinese-born director and Oscar winner Chloe Zhao, who won the Golden Lion in 2020 with Nomadland.
After scaling down last year due to COVID-19, the Venice Film Festival's glamour was back in 2021, albeit with necessary pandemic precautions which included mandatory masks, vaccine passes and maximum 50% capacity in the cinemas.
Hollywood stars and the international crème de la crème of the movie scene walked the red carpet in Venice. Among the highlights was undoubtedly the appearance of Ben Affleck with his one-time girlfriend Jennifer Lopez by his side, to the delight of many gossip magazines.
The Golden Lion And Women Directors
Audrey Diwan is the sixth woman to receive the prestigious Golden Lion Award. Previous winners include Chloe Zhao with Nomadland, Margarethe von Trotta with Marianne & Juliane, Agnes Varda with Vagabond, Mira Nair with Monsoon Wedding and Sofia Coppola with Somewhere.
The award for best actress went to the queen of Spanish cinema, Penelope Cruz, for her role in the comedy Parallel Mothers — her latest collaboration with countryman Pedro Almodovar. She thanked the legendary Spanish director for "inspiring me every day with your search for truth".
Italian filmmaker Michelangelo Frammartino received a special jury prize for Il buco — a drama film about a group of speleologists discovering a deep cave in a remote area of Italy's south in 1961. US director Maggie Gyllenhall won the prize for best screenplay for her psychological drama The Lost Daughter.
The Princess Diana biopic Spencer, starring US actress Kristen Stewart as the UK royal, did not receive any awards despite gathering critical acclaim ahead of the festival.
Serious Topics Set The Tone
This year's festival was notably dominated by darker films. The Italian fantasy drama Freaks Out had German actor Franz Rogowski starring as an eccentric Nazi in a circus. US actor Oscar Isaac starred in The Card Counter, a movie about a man who who took part in torture and prisoner abuse in Abu Ghraib. And Jane Campion's Western The Power of the Dog — starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Kirsten Dunst — focuses on two feuding brothers on a Montana ranch in the 1920s and deals with toxic masculinity, repressed homosexuality, jealousy, and addiction. Campion won the award for best director.
In recent years, success at Venice has become a key launchpad for the Oscars. The last four winners — Nomadland, Joker, Roma, and The Shape of Water — have all gone on to receive an Academy Award.
- fashionVenice Film Festival 2022: Penelope Cruz, Timothée Chalamet, Olivia Wilde - Best Red Carpet Fashion
- fashionVenice Film Festival 2022: Julianne Moore, Cate Blanchett - Best Celebrity Red Carpet Fashion
- fashion trendsTennis Player Maria Sharapova Wows Us With Her 4 Stunning Fashion Moments!
- fashion trendsJennifer Lopez Sparkles As A 'Disco Diva' In Shimmery Bodysuit At UNICEF Concert In Capri
- insyncBen Affleck's Christmas List For Wife
- insyncBlake Lively's Awkward Scene With Ben Affleck
- insyncBen Affleck Launches Aid Foundation
- insyncBen Affleck Loves Traditional Baby Names
- skin careAnti-Ageing Tricks Of Jennifer Lopez : The Hollywood Star's Secret To Youthful Skin
- make up tipsAMAs 2021: Jennifer Lopez Wins Us With Her Smokey Eye Look And It’s Not Very Difficult To Ace, Either!
- art cultureGlobal Citizen Festival 2021: Billie Eilish, Coldplay, Jennifer Lopez, Ed Sheeran, Elton John To Perform
- make up tipsJennifer Lopez's Hair And Makeup At MTV VMAs 2021 And How To Perfect It At Minimal Cost!